Samsung launched its all new virtual mobile assistant Bixby for the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. But users of Samsung's other flagships like the Galaxy S7 and S6 series are hoping that Bixby will soon be made available to their devices.
While it is not known when Bixby will come to other Galaxy devices or whether it will come at all, users of Galaxy phones that have the Android Nougat on their phones can install this assistant manually.
For getting the Bixby you will need to install three components for it to run successfully. Follow these three detailed installation steps below:
Step 1 - Installing the S8 launcher
- First and foremost make sure you are on Android Nougat on your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge else this installation will not work
- For installing Bixy you will need to have the Galaxy S8's launcher on your S7 or S7 Edge
- Clear the default stock launcher "Touchwiz Home" data
- Make sure to clear its cache from Settings
- Download the apk from here and install it
- In case the launcher crashes or doesn't work launcher, clear previous TouchWiz data again and retry
- Check by pressing the Home button. You should see the new Galaxy S8 launcher
Step 2: Install Bixby app
- Make sure to proceed to this step only once you have checked if your S8 launcher is working properly
- Install Bixby apk from either of these two -- Bixby apk and Bixby alternate
- Now go to the new S8 launcher setting by long pressing on home screen
- Activate Bixby ad reboot your device
- Swipe left to see Bixby
Step 3: Install AOD
- You will need to disable the default AOD set by the Galaxy S7's system and clear it's data
- Download the AOD apk from here and install it
- If phone hangs let it sit for a while. It may even crash a few times. In that case keep clearing data a couple of times
- Go to the AOD setting and configure again
Remember that since this is an apk version of the app, all functions may not work. In case you feel the app is bogging down your device or crashing too many times you can even remove it.
How to Remove Bixby
- Go to Settings and open the three dot menu on the right
- Select show system apps
- Select Touchwiz home's menu
- Click on un-install updates
Please be aware that this is not a Samsung authorised version of installing the Bixby even though the apk is stable. Only if you are familiar with the process of modifying apps through open source projects, go ahead with this installation.
You may be interested in: