Gangland machete attack victim spared jail after 140mph police car chase

The victim of a gangland machete attack has been spared jail after leading police in a 140mph chase in his car.

James Sheridan had his leg amputated and lost two fingers after being targeted at his home on the day he left prison.

The former crime group member had served an 18-month sentence after being caught with cannabis and £104,000 in dirty cash.

His gang boss blamed Sheridan for the loss of the drugs and money and ordered the attack.

Last week, enforcer Ross Al-Gailani, 36, was jailed for 16 years when he admitted being one of the thugs who burst into Sheridan’s home in Coatbridge and assaulted him in May 2023.

Sheridan, 29, appeared at Airdrie Sheriff Court on Wednesday and admitted driving dangerously on August 5, 2022, nine months before the attack.

The court heard police chased him for several miles along the M8 in Lanarkshire during the early evening rush hour.

Sarah Healing, prosecuting, said officers had been looking out for his black Audi which had false plates.

Ms Healing told the court:“Sheridan reached speeds of more than 140 miles an hour as he drove along the hard shoulder.

“An AA recovery unit was assisting a broken down vehicle on the hard shoulder and that caused the accused to move on to the motorway carriageway where he continued at speeds in excess of 120 miles an hour despite the heavy traffic.

“The police had their blue lights flashing from practically the beginning of the pursuit but Sheridan continued along the A725 where the speed limit was 40. He was still doing up to 120 miles an hour.”

Defence lawyer Ian Brechany said Sheridan is now doing “remarkably well” and doctors hope to fit a new knee joint to help his mobility.

Mr Brechany added: “He’s involved in voluntary work and assists others at a charity for amputees. He seeks no sympathy for his situation and knows the choices he made some years ago got him into this position.”

Sheridan claimed he fled because he had been warned he would be in danger if he was jailed.

Sheriff Derek Livingston told Sheridan, who has a previous conviction for dangerous driving: “I accept you have turned your life around and undergone life-changing injuries. I take all that into account.”

Sheridan was placed under social work supervision for three years and is confined to his home between 7pm and 7am each day under a one-year tagging order. He was banned from driving for five years and ordered to resit his test.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.