Johannesburg - He jumped from the theatre circuit to television, landing a role on Scandal, and now Robby Collins already has two tours with Trevor Noah under his belt. A consummate comic, he received an Emmy nomination for his writing on Late Night News with Loyiso Gola and has been nominated for “breakthrough act of the year” in 2011 and 2012 at the Comics’ Choice Awards. He’s done big league comic shows and even his own solo tours. We asked the comedian some important questions.
1. Describe yourself in three words.
Curious happy student.
2. Describe the kind of comedian you are.
I’m definitely a story teller.
3. What would you be doing if you weren’t a comedian?
I’d like to be a teacher or a music producer.
4. What song would you want played at your funeral, and why?
Bob Marley’s Redemption Song and, when they start lowering my coffin, the deejay must put on Drop It Like It’s Hot.
5. If you could take three things to a desert island, what would they be and why?
My iPhone, a set of speakers with an auxiliary cord and Zoë Kravits.
6. Most embarrassing moment?
Falling asleep in church and waking up at the end.
7. The perfect date?
With my mom.
8. Favourite one-liner?
Why does Snoop-Dogg carry an umbrella? For drizzle.
9. Worst nightmare?
Waking up with no teeth.
10. If you knew today was your last day on Earth, how would you spend it?
Think I’d just chill at home and watch Netflix; makes it easy for people to find my body.
12. Best piece of advice you’ve ever got?
Just be consistent.
13. Favourite movie quote?
“Every dog has its day,” from Scarface.