Girl, 7, badly burns foot after standing on BBQ buried in the sand on Swansea beach

·2-min read

A seven-year-old girl has suffered serious burns on her foot after standing on a disposable barbecue which had been buried in the sand on a beach in Wales.

Simi Adenaike is waiting to find out if she needs a skin graft after she was injured.

The girl had only just arrived on Swansea Bay beach with her mother Alex Adenaike and other family members when she let out what Alex described as a "horrifying scream".

At first the family thought Simi had stood on some glass or been stung by a bee but then they discovered the still hot BBQ covered in sand.

Alex told Swansea Council: "We had only just arrived at the beach and were looking forward to having some fun. The children started playing almost immediately and had been running around in the sand. We heard a horrifying scream and my daughter came running back.

"She was in so much pain, she was unable to tell us what happened. Eventually we realised one of her feet was very red and blistered.

"We had some help from some other visitors on the beach to cool down the burn with water and we got her to hospital immediately."

Cyril Anderson, Swansea Council's cabinet member for community, said: "This incident is horrendous and we wish Simi and her family all the best as she receives medical treatment.

"The dangers associated with discarding or leaving disposable BBQs on our beaches are well known and that's why we have gone to the trouble of installing 15 bins at all of our beaches.

"Anyone who thinks that it's OK to bury BBQs or any other waste in the sand on a day out is simply irresponsible and thoughtless to the injuries they can cause to beach users.

"We've invested thousands of pounds installing permanent BBQ waste bins along Swansea Bay beach and also at Port Eynon, Horton, Caswell and Langland with more to come at Rotherslade.

"BBQs and charcoal retain their heat for hours after they've been used and can cause serious burns for people who accidentally step on them."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting