Girl, nine, died after being electrocuted by shower in France and stepfather killed trying to save her

Arvert, France, where a nine-year-old girl and her stepfather died after being electrocuted by a shower (Picture – Google Maps)

A nine-year-old girl and her stepfather both died after being electrocuted by a shower in France, it has been reported.

The girl suffered a shock while she was showering at home in the town of Arvert in south-west France on Wednesday evening, French media reported.

According to reports, her stepfather tried to rescue her but suffered a fatal shock when he touched her.

The girl’s mother reportedly found the pair, suffering burns to her hands as she tried to help her daughter before turning off the power. She has been taken to hospital in nearby Royan.

The girl’s mother was reportedly taken to hospital in Royan (pictured) for treatment after suffering burns to her hands trying to save her daughter (Picture: Getty)

According to French media, the family were renovating the house, which had recently been bought.

It is thought the accident could have been caused by an electrical extension being put on the wet bathroom floor.

READ MORE
White van man jailed for killing elderly couple after drink and drugs birthday binge

One source told French TV channel LCI: “There seems to be a multiple electrical outlet near the shower, and there was water on the floor.”

Police are due to carry out post mortems on both the girl and her stepfather to find out the exact cause of their deaths.

—Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK—