Glasgow fire: Residents near blaze told to keep windows closed due to suspected asbestos presence

Independent Staff, Lucinda Cameron
The scene in Glasgow city centre where firefighters are tackling a large blaze in Sauchiehall Street near the junction with Hope Street: PA

Fire officials have warned Glasgow residents to keep their windows closed after a major blaze broke out in the city centre, due to the suspected presence of asbestos.

Some 120 firefighters were dealing with the flames as shoppers and residents were urged to stay indoors. The fire has since been contained.

Shops were evacuated after the fire broke out at 8.18am in Sauchiehall Street near the junction with Hope Street, and several other streets were cordoned off.

Smoke billowed across Sauchiehall Street as fire crews battled the blaze.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) said the occupants of several nearby properties were evacuated and there were no reports of any injuries.

Flames could been seen in the roof of the building which houses Victoria's nightclub and has several shops at street level.

SFRS Assistant Chief Officer Lewis Ramsay said the fire was "now contained" but added that firefighters would be on scene for "several days".

Hope Street was closed to all traffic between Bath Street and Renfrew Street, with Renfield Street also closed between Renfrew Street and Bath Street while emergency services dealt with the incident.

An SFRS spokesman said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 8.18am to reports of a well-developed fire which had taken hold within the roof space of a commercial premises.

“We would urge the occupants of surrounding buildings to remain indoors and keep their windows closed due to the suspected presence of asbestos.”

Additional reporting by PA