Glasgow mourns victims of bin truck tragedy

Glasgow mourns victims of bin truck tragedy

Residents of Glasgow laid floral tributes and prayed at a memorial service for victims killed when a rubbish truck ploughed into Christmas shoppers in the city.

The six dead included three members of one family, 18-year-old Erin McQuade and her grandparents Jack and Lorraine Sweeney from Dumbarton.

Also killed were Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, primary school teacher Stephenie Tait, 29, from Glasgow, and Jacqueline Morton, 51, from Glasgow.

Flags were flown at half mast on Scottish government buildings and bunches of flowers piled up on the central shopping streets where the disaster took place.

Queen Elizabeth sent a message of condolence to the people of the city saying she and Prince Philip "were saddened by the news of the tragic accident".

"Our thoughts and prayers go to the families of those who have lost loved ones and to those who have been injured," the queen wrote.

"This sad event is made even more difficult as it comes at Christmas time. I send my condolences to all the people of Glasgow."

The crash injured ten people, several of whom remain in hospital, including the driver of the rubbish truck.

Police are investigating the cause of the accident, but it was reported that the driver could have fallen ill at the wheel.

Scottish first minister Nicola Sturgeon attended a special service held in remembrance at St George's Tron Paris Church on Tuesday.

Sturgeon said ahead of the service that the city had woken with a "broken heart".

"This city will pull together to support those who have been affected, not just in the days ahead but in the weeks and months to come," the leader of the Scottish National Party said.

The Gallery of Modern Art, where the rubbish truck hit the first pedestrian, said it would remain closed "due to the tragic accident".

The local authority bin lorry veered over a distance of around 300 metres (about 1,000 feet), only stopping when it crashed into a hotel near Queen Street station.

Glasgow was back in mourning just over a year after a police helicopter crashed into a bar in the city on November 29, 2013, killing eight people and injuring more than 30 others.

Reverend Alastair Duncan, who led the prayer service, said there was "a definite sombre note in the city, compared to yesterday when it was boisterous and festive and the streets were crowded".

The city's Celtic football club said it would hold a minute of silence before its next match on Saturday, while Glasgow-born Scottish tennis star Andy Murray tweeted his condolences.