Glazers ‘could stay’ as ‘likely’ outcome of Man Utd takeover process emerges amid major £7bn claim
Man Utd supporters have been warned that the Glazer family “could stay” even though “as many as eight” new bids are expected on Wednesday.
The Glazer family announced last November that they were putting Manchester United up for sale. It was confirmed at the time that they would “evaluate all options”.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim have emerged as two frontrunners to oust the Glazer family.
The two parties were invited for meetings at Old Trafford earlier this month. Sheikh Jassim’s team were present, but Ratcliffe was the only one out of the two who attended himself.
The second round of bidding is taking place this week. The deadline for these offers being at 9pm on Wednesday night.
It has already been confirmed that Sheikh Jassim and Ratcliffe will bid again, but Sky Sports reporter Kaveh Solhekol has claimed that between five and eight bids are expected.
He adds that “the Glazers could well stay at the club” if they decide that the offers they receive are “not good enough”.
“If someone comes along and offers £6bn-£7bn, then the Raine Group and the Glazers look at that and say, ‘you know what, these people have made such a good bid, we’re going to give them exclusivity’. That means they get access to all the books, nobody else does, and they look to tie up a deal to sell the club to them,” Solhekol told Sky Sports.
“If that happens, Wednesday could be the beginning of the end. But what’s much more likely is that five bids, maybe as many as eight, will go in, and there’ll be a third stage of bidding as well. I think it’ll be whittled down again and this will keep on running for another few weeks.
“I still think it won’t be done until the end of the season, the beginning of the transfer window, and the Glazers could well stay at the club.
“They might look at all the offers and say, ‘that’s not good enough, we think Man Utd is worth a lot more, especially in the future,’ so they just send a minority stake to a hedge fund or an investment company, and use the money to pay off some of the debt, do up Old Trafford or the training ground a little bit, and stay in control. I was told on Tuesday morning not to discount that as a possibility – it could still happen.”
Solhekol has later added via Twitter that Sheikh Jassim will make a “world record bid” for Man Utd on Wednesday.
“Qatar’s Sheikh Jassim will make a world record bid to buy Manchester United this evening. Funds in place. The big question is whether the Glazer family really want to sell United.”
The current record is £3.7bn. This figure was paid to purchase The Denver Broncos last August.
READ MORE: The 20 best footballers out of contract in July 2023 and available as free transfers
The article Glazers ‘could stay’ as ‘likely’ outcome of Man Utd takeover process emerges amid major £7bn claim appeared first on Football365.com.