Good news on Branstone scheme — families may be in sooner than planned

·2-min read
Good news on Branstone scheme — families may be in sooner than planned
Good news on Branstone scheme — families may be in sooner than planned

AFTER months of delays for Island families, it's good news as move in day looms closer at Branstone Farm.

More than 40 affordable houses are being built in Arreton but due to construction issues had been hit with setbacks.

Another problem affecting the occupation of the housing were planning permission conditions revolving around highways junctions, footpaths and speed limits.

However, despite an application to legally vary the planning permission to allow families to move in as soon as possible, talks behind the scenes between Vectis Housing and the Isle of Wight Council have proved fruitful.

Martyn Pearl, Vectis Housing's chief executive, said an agreement has been reached with the council that the new housing at Branstone can be occupied once works have been completed.

He said: "The planning authority has confirmed that — while planning conditions require detail of highway works and access to be agreed prior to the occupation of housing — in this case the occupation of the housing and business units should not be delayed while the fine details are resolved."

Mr Pearl said all building work has now been completed but utility connections were still pending before families could move in.

Isle of Wight County Press:
Isle of Wight County Press:

He said the go-live of electricity was expected in the next week or so, with hopes families could move in during September.

Mr Pearl said the project has been delayed due to labour and materials issues but all partners were focused on completing works and welcoming new homeowners, tenants and businesses to the site next month.

Isle of Wight County Press:
Isle of Wight County Press:

One of the biggest hold-ups has been the need to complete highway works outside the main summer holiday period, which means they could not start until October 1.

It was previously said, in planning documents submitted to the Isle of Wight Council by Phil Salmon Planning on behalf of Vectis Housing, that the ten-week construction timeframe would mean families would only be able to move into houses in December.

The application to vary conditions was submitted last month, despite talks, but will still need to be determined by the Isle of Wight Council.

Isle of Wight County Press:
Isle of Wight County Press: