A deal to restart the search for MH370 is expected to be agreed in the coming days, as authorities once again attempt to solve one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries.
US marine exploration firm Ocean Infinity says "good progress" has been made to renew the hunt for the Malaysia Airlines jet, which disappeared en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board in 2014.
A spokesperson for Celicourt Communications, which represents the company, told Sky News: "Ocean Infinity are not yet able to confirm the final award of a contract to help in the search for MH370, but good progress has been made.
"We remain optimistic that we will be able to try and help provide some answers to those who have been affected by this tragedy."
A fruitless search co-ordinated by Australia, China and Malaysia, which cost AUS$200m (£119m), was halted in January . Relatives of those on board and some experts say it was stopped too soon.
Families were given fresh hope that some of their questions may be answered when Malaysia said earlier this week that it had begun negotiations with Ocean Infinity about a new search.
Australian transport minister Darren Chester said in a statement that the Malaysian government has entered into a "no find-no fee" arrangement - although this has not yet been confirmed by Malaysia.
"Malaysia's decision to proceed with the search shows the commitment to find MH370," Mr Chester said.
"While I am hopeful of a successful search, I'm conscious of not raising hopes for the loved ones of those on board.
"Ocean Infinity will focus on searching the seafloor in an area that has previously been identified by experts as the next most likely location to find MH370.
"Australia, at Malaysia's request, will provide technical assistance to the Malaysian government and Ocean Infinity.
"No new information has been discovered to determine the specific location of the aircraft, however data collected during the previous search will be provided."
Malaysia's deputy transport minister Aziz Kaprawi said on Thursday: "Yes, we are negotiating with Ocean Infinity, but the agreement has not been finalised."
No sign of the plane was found in the 46,000 square mile (120,000sq km) search zone west of Australia identified by satellite analysis as being the most likely location of the wreckage.
In July 2015 part of the plane's wing was found on Reunion Island, a French territory in the Indian Ocean, and so far more than 20 objects either confirmed or believed to be from the jet have washed ashore on beaches in Mauritius, Mozambique, Madagascar and Tanzania.
But while the debris confirms the plane went down in the Indian Ocean, the location of the main wreckage and what happened to MH370 remain a mystery.
A number of theories have been put forward, including a fire on board, a hijacking or terror plot, rogue pilot action and mechanical or structural failure.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau concluded earlier this year that the flight was likely out of control when it hit the ocean, with its wing flaps not prepared for landing.