Hackney Carnival cancelled ‘to observe period of national mourning’ after Queen’s death

·2-min read
People walking around food stalls and sound systems during the Hackney Carnival (Alamy Stock Photo)
People walking around food stalls and sound systems during the Hackney Carnival (Alamy Stock Photo)

Hackney Carnival has been cancelled as a mark of respect following the death of her late Majesty the Queen.

Council officials said they would cancel the event, due to be held Sunday, September 11, as the nation enters an official period of mourning for its longest-reigning monarch.

Hackney Council said in a statement that it was looking at whether the event, which had been expected to see large numbers of people attend, could be held at a later date.

Mayor of Hackney Philip Glanville said the council “regretfully” made the decision to cancel the event as “the nation enters an official 10-day period of mourning to observe the loss of its longest-serving monarch”.

“We’ll be looking at whether it is feasible to hold Carnival at a later date this year, or if we can showcase the artists’ work in another way,” he said.

“We know many people will feel extremely disappointed, and we are sorry for the sadness and upset this will cause.

“We would like to express our sincere gratitude to all the incredible people who were due to perform and take part in Carnival, as well as those involved in the organisation of the event who have worked tirelessly on preparations.

"We thank you for your understanding. Further information will be provided in due course.”

The event was due to be the first in-person Hackney Carnival post-Covid, with the occasion marked online in 2020 and 2021.

It is the latest in a number of cultural events cancelled or postponed as the nation mourns the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.

The Royal Albert Hall has confirmed that the final two nights of the BBC Proms, which were scheduled for Friday and Saturday, would no longer go ahead as a mark of respect.

The world-famous London venue said: “We were truly honoured that Queen Elizabeth II was our Patron. Everyone at the Hall will feel her absence keenly.”

The Royal Opera House closed its doors Thursday after news of her Majesty’s death broke, cancelling the opening night of Mozart’s Don Giovanni. It said it also planned to close on the day of the Queen’s state funeral.