On his 72nd birthday we've gathered 20 of Paul McCartney's best quotes about life, being a musician, The Beatles and... video games?
- One of my biggest thrills for me still is sitting down with a guitar or a piano and just out of nowhere trying to make a song happen.
- I used to think anyone doing anything weird was weird. Now I know that it is the people that call others weird that are weird.
- Somebody said to me, 'But the Beatles were anti-materialistic'. That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, 'Now, let's write a swimming pool'.
- None of us wanted to be the bass player. In our minds he was the fat guy who always played at the back.
- I don't work at being ordinary.
- Why would I retire? Sit at home and watch TV? No thanks. I'd rather be out playing.
- It was Elvis who really got me hooked on beat music. When I heard Heartbreak Hotel I thought, this is it.
- I think people who create and write, it actually does flow-just flows from into their head, into their hand, and they write it down. It's simple.
- If children are studying the 20th century, I'm in their text books.
- There are only four people who knew what the Beatles were about anyway.
- John's time and effort were, in the main, spent on pretty honourable stuff. As for the other side, well, nobody's perfect, nobody's Jesus. And look what they did to him.
- Everybody at EMI had become part of the furniture. I'd be a couch; Coldplay are an armchair. Robbie Williams, I dread to think what he was.
- But with writers, there's nothing wrong with melancholy. It's an important colour in writing.
- Being in the audience actually looks like quite a lot of fun.
- My grandkids always beat me at [the video game] Rock Band. And I say, Listen, you may beat me at Rock Band, but I made the original records, so shut up.
- I can take pot or leave it. I got busted in Japan for it. I was nine days without it and there wasn't a hint of withdrawal, nothing.
- You know, as a kid I would have thought of a vegetarian as a wimp.
- I figure I've probably got a better chance of coming up with a good Paul McCartney song than Oasis has.
- The thing with The X Factor is, you don't have to turn it on. It is really not a bad thing. You are talking about people being on the dole (welfare) - this gets people off the dole. It gives some people an opportunity, it gives them confidence, it gives them work. There is nothing wrong with that.
- It's also not unusual for writers to look backward. Because that's your pool of resources.
Sir Paul McCartney to Make Full Recovery after Treatment for Mystery Virus
Sir Paul McCartney Cancels Japan World Tour Gigs While Battling Mystery Virus