Haringey Borough 'racism' incident: Two men arrested after FA Cup match abandoned over alleged abuse

Jacob Jarvis
PA

Two men have been arrested after an FA Cup qualifying match was abandoned over alleged racist abuse.

The match, between Haringey Borough FC and Yeovil Town, was cancelled on Saturday due to players allegedly being targeted.

The fourth qualifying round match at Coles Park saw players from both sides walk off, shortly after Yeovil had gone 1-0 up via a penalty.

Haringey manager Tom Loizou said that defender Coby Rowe had suffered racist abuse. Goalkeeper Douglas Pajetat was also said to have been spat at and had missiles thrown at him.

A subsequent post on Haringey's official Twitter account said the game had been abandoned following racist abuse.

Two men, aged 23 and 26, have been arrested in Chard and Yeovil on suspicion of racially aggravated common assault.

They are both in custody at a police station in Somerset.

Officers from the Met are leading the investigation with the assistance of Avon and Somerset police.

The FA said it is "deeply concerned" about the allegation and is looking into the incident "as a matter of urgency".

The alleged incident occurred just five days after England's Euro 2020 qualifier in Bulgaria was halted twice as fans were warned about racist behaviour.

Anyone with information that might help police is asked to call 101 quoting CAD 5272/19 Oct.