Harley Watson, 12, died from 'severe head injury' after hit-and-run outside Essex school, inquest hears

Patrick Grafton-Green
Harley Watson was killed in the car crash outside his school: EssexPoliceUK

A 12-year-old boy died from a severe head injury after a hit-and-run outside his school in Essex, an inquest has heard.

Harley Watson died in hospital after a vehicle ploughed into children who were leaving Debden Park High School in Loughton, earlier this month.

Essex coroner's officer Lynsey Chaffe, speaking at the opening of an inquest into Harley's death, said he was struck by a vehicle in Willingale Road.

"He was immediately conveyed to Whipps Cross Hospital where his death was confirmed at 4.43pm," said Ms Chaffe.

Forensic officers sweep the scene in Willingdale Road near Debden Park High School (NIGEL HOWARD)

A post-mortem examination conducted at St Thomas' Hospital on December 6 gave Harley's provisional medical cause of death as a severe head injury, she said.

The two-minute hearing in Chelmsford was adjourned until a date to be fixed.

Essex senior coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray said: "Please could the court's sympathy be expressed to Harley's family at this very difficult time."

Floral bouquets left in tribute to Harley at the entrance to Debden Park High School in Willingale Road (PA)

A 51-year-old man has been charged with murder over the incident, which happened shortly before 3.20pm on Decemeber 2.

Terence Glover, of Newmans Lane, Loughton, is also charged with the attempted murder of a woman and nine children and of driving a Ford Ka dangerously in Willingale Road, Loughton.

The attempted murder charges relate to 23-year-old Raquel Jimeno and six boys and three girls aged between 12 and 16 who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Terry Glover, 51, will enter a plea in the new year (EssexPoliceUK)

Glover has been remanded in custody and is next due to appear before Chelmsford Crown Court for a plea hearing on January 31.

Harley's family said in a statement released through Essex Police that they were "devastated by what has happened" and described him as a "good, kind, helpful and lovely boy".

Scores of well-wishers have donated to a GoFundMe.com fundraising page in his memory.

Reporting by PA Media