The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are understood to be taking “appropriate measures” over coronavirus after it emerged Prince Harry could have been exposed to it during his final UK engagements this month.
Harry hugged Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton as the two opened the Silverstone Experience Centre on 6 March.
Two days before, Hamilton was photographed at the WE Day UK charity events in London alongside actor Idris Elba and Sophie Trudeau, the wife of the Canadian prime minister – both of whom have since tested positive for Covid-19.
Trudeau announced last week that she had put herself in quarantine, having been tested after experiencing mild symptoms on her return from London.
Elba revealed on Monday he had tested positive via a video on Twitter, in which he said he felt OK and that he had no symptoms but had decided to self-isolate. The Luther actor said he only got tested after coming into contact with someone who later confirmed they had coronavirus, but did not give details of who that person was.
Hamilton has urged fans to take coronavirus seriously, and has posted a video showing how to hand-wash on his Twitter account. It is not known if he has been tested for the virus.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment on whether Harry and Meghan were self-isolating at their Vancouver Island retreat. One source said that that the couple would be taking “appropriate measures and following government advice”.
Harry flew back to Canada just before Justin Trudeau announced the closure of Canada’s borders to stop the spread. Trudeau has urged Canadians to stay at home “as much as possible”.