Hero London Bridge Pc tells how he took on THREE Jihadis despite being stabbed in the eye

Andy Wells
Freelance Writer

A hero police officer has described how he fought off all three London Bridge terrorists using only his baton – despite being stabbed multiple times.

Wayne Marques, has spoken publicly for the first time since the terror attack earlier this month, and revealed how he thought he was going to die as a result of the attack.

The British Transport Police officer was near the start of his Saturday nightshift and on patrol with a colleague in the area of London Bridge Station when he heard screams.

He said he knew something was wrong when he saw bouncers and customers queuing to get into a nearby bar standing “like deers in the headlights”.

The 38-year-old, who was born in Birmingham but lives in south London, initially thought the disturbance was a pub fight that had spilled out onto the streets or maybe a gang fight “at the most”.

He was approached by an off-duty Metropolitan Police officer who said he saw someone stabbed, and shortly afterwards Pc Marques himself witnessed people being attacked in Borough High Street near the junction with London Bridge Street.

Pc Wayne Marques was stabbed in the eye while fighting off the three London Bridge attackers (PA)

He recalled: “I remember grabbing my baton with my right hand and I racked (extended) it. I took a deep breath and I just charged the first one (attacker).”

He added: “As I got near him I swung at him with everything I had as hard as I could, straight through his head, trying to go for like a knock-out blow.”

He said he heard the attacker “yelp in pain”.

MORE: London Bridge terrorists tried to hire LORRY before attack as police reveal weapons used in rampage
MORE: Body of eighth London Bridge victim found in River Thames

Pc Marques, who has since recovered his sight after being wounded just above his right eye, was stabbed numerous times, with the major injuries to his head, left leg and left hand.

The officer, who has worked with BTP for just under two years and was a PCSO with the Met for around six years beforehand, described the “instant darkness” when he was stabbed in the head by one of the terror trio.

He said: “He’d hit me so hard that my right eye went lights out straight away, I just went blind.”

All three terrorists were shot by police (Rex)
Police rushed into danger when the terrorists attacked London Bridge (Rex)

In a fight that he believes lasted somewhere up to 90 seconds, Pc Marques, who had not long recovered from a football injury, was set upon by all three terrorists.

He said: “The second one and the third one I was basically fighting left to right, because I only had one eye so I’m moving left to right, left to right.”

After being stabbed in the leg and hand he said he could remember little except for “swinging (my baton) all over the place”.

In a surreal moment seconds later he described how the attackers – Youssef Zaghba, Khuram Butt and Rachid Redouane – stood facing him.

He said: “And the three of them were standing together almost shoulder-to-shoulder in like a little wolf pack and they’re staring at me. And that’s when I get to size them up.”

The Jihadists were shot and killed by police who tried to defend civilians (Gabriele Sciotto/Instagram)

For reasons he said he did not know, the attackers instead rushed off towards Borough Market where they continued their rampage.

Other officers rallied round and Pc Marques said he sat down, then lay on the ground and began to feel a “black cloud” descend as minute by minute he found it more difficult to stay conscious.

He said: “That black cloud starts to come to your vision and starts closing in and closing in and I pretty much knew time was up.”

He told a colleague to pass on his last messages to his parents, partner and the rest of his family as he prepared to die.

The attackers ploughed a van into pedestrians before getting out and stabbing people (BBC)

He said: “That was it. Time was up. It’s hard to explain what you kind of think and feel at the time.”

His next clear memory is waking up in hospital, feeling a mixture of relief, shock and surprise.

After a number of operations, Pc Marques was discharged from hospital on Friday, almost three weeks after the attack and now takes about 25 pills each day.

He cannot walk unaided, has a scar above his eye, struggles to grip with his left hand, and has lost feeling in the right side of his head where nerves were severed.

Looking to the future, he said: “Hopefully with the right help and the right care, I’ll get my legs back – that will be a great feeling, I am looking forward to getting my legs back definitely.”

On going back out on to the street as a BTP officer, he said his family and partner do not want him to return to that role, saying: “You’ve done enough.”

Speaking on Wednesday, he said: “Am I a hero? I guess in a lot of people’s eyes I am but there are still eight people that lost their lives and many more that got wounded.

“By the time I got there some of them were already dead and dying. I couldn’t help everybody.

“Being a hero was the last thing I was thinking about. Even fighting terrorists was the last thing I was thinking about. All I was trying to do was keep people alive. That was my job, keep people alive. And that’s what I did, that’s what I tried to do.”

All three attackers were shot by police who arrived on the scene within minutes of the first emergency calls being made.

Top pic: PA