Hero PC stabbed multiple times during London Bridge terror attack returns to work

Police responded to reports of a van hitting pedestrians on London Bridge on June 3 (Getty)

A police officer who was seriously injured during the London Bridge and Borough Market terror attack has returned to work.

British Transport Police officer Wayne Marques was stabbed multiple times by the three attackers, who he ran to confront despite only being armed with his baton.

The June 3 2017 attacks began when three men drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge before randomly attacking crowds in Borough Market. Eight people died and 48 people were injured.

PC Marques received hospital treatment after suffering major wounds to his head, leg and hand.

“All I was trying to do was keep people alive,” he said soon after the attack. “That was my job, keep people alive. And that’s what I did, that’s what I tried to do.”

Khuram Butt, 27, Rachid Redouane, 30, and Youssef Zaghba, 22, were shot dead by police at the scene.

PC Wayne Marques has returned to work (British Transport Police)

PC Marques will not undertake any uniformed operational roles for now, and will instead work on light duties in south London as his recovery continues.

PC Marques, said: “Since last June I have been in and out of intensive rehabilitation programmes which at times has been incredibly tough both physically and mentally.

“Coming back to work has always been a goal of mine and I have been determined to reach this stage, returning to a sense of normality and routine.”

He added: “It feels surreal walking back through the doors but I am thrilled to get back to what I love doing. I know there is still a long road ahead of me before I can put the operational uniform back on, but with time I hope I can reach that stage.”

Londoners united in the wake of the attack (Getty)


Newlywed couple tragically killed in car crash on way to honeymoon
Grieving dad hits out at Facebook after ‘sick sadist’ trolled him about his dead daughter
Schoolchildren to be banned from buying energy drinks under new Government plans
Woman saves man’s life after he suffers heart attack on their first date
Miracle dog found ALIVE in Colorado mountains 19 days after being thrown from car crash that killed his owner

Chief Constable Paul Crowther, said: “I am delighted to see that Wayne has returned to work after a tough recovery process. His determination and hard work during his rehabilitation is truly inspiring.

“Wayne is a credit to the Force and he undoubtedly exemplifies the very best in British policing. I wish him all the best as he continues to rebuild his strength in his recovery.”

He added: “Of course, whilst we are all proud of Wayne’s achievements, we must not forget about those who died and who lost loved ones during this atrocity. Our thoughts will always remain with those who died during the attack at London Bridge and Borough Market.”