Latest Hillsborough News

  • Labour leadership race: Andy Burnham and Liz Kendall take contest to YouTub …
    Labour leadership race: Andy Burnham and Liz Kendall take contest to YouTub … Mon, Aug 10, 2015

    Liz Kendall and Andy Burnham have attempted to leverage the power of YouTube to make last minute appeals to Labour voters as the party's leadership contest draws to a conclusion. Kendall, a shadow care minister, released a two-minute-long video on the video-sharing platform entitled "An open letter to the Labour Party". The film, set around the 44-year-old as she works in her London office, shows Kendall typing a personal message to Labour supporters and members. More »

  • It's Showtime For Labour's Leadership Contenders
    It's Showtime For Labour's Leadership Contenders Mon, Aug 10, 2015

    Momentarily lost in thought, Liz Kendall grabs the back of her office chair and suddenly is frantically writing a letter. No sooner have I finished this video - another one arrives in my inbox. This time it is Andy Burnham surrounded by children at the kitchen table while his mum says: "He’s always given us a laugh, hasn’t he? More »

  • Girl (14) critical after crash between bicycle and car
    Girl (14) critical after crash between bicycle and car Sun, Aug 9, 2015

    The girl was taken to hospital with leg and head injuries. More »

  • The most expensive homes for sale in Silicon Valley right now
    The most expensive homes for sale in Silicon Valley right now Fri, Aug 7, 2015

    Tech millionaires do alright for themselves. More »

  • Ouch! Cyclist Takes A Tumble On Live TV While Trekking Through Flooded Stre …
    Ouch! Cyclist Takes A Tumble On Live TV While Trekking Through Flooded Stre … Thu, Aug 6, 2015

    This cyclist probably regretted going out on his bike after the heavens opened on his neighbourhood. More »

  • Labour contenders round on Corbyn
    Labour contenders round on Corbyn Sun, Jul 12, 2015

    Left-winger Jeremy Corbyn would lead Labour to "oblivion", an ally of leadership rival Liz Kendall warned as the contest became increasingly bitter. More »

  • Hillsborough: Mum Prevented From Seeing Body
    Hillsborough: Mum Prevented From Seeing Body Wed, Jun 17, 2015

    The mother of two girls who had just died in the Hillsborough disaster says she was refused permission to see the body of one of them "because she was the property of the coroner". Jenni Hicks, who's daughters Sarah, 19, and Vicki,15, were crushed in the tragedy, was giving evidence at the joint inquests into the 96 who were killed. She told the inquests she was assured there had been no girls inside, only to discover later that fifteen-year-old Vicki had been taken there. More »

  • Hillsborough: Dad's Battle To Save His Girls
    Hillsborough: Dad's Battle To Save His Girls Tue, Jun 16, 2015

    A father who lost two daughters in the Hillsborough disaster has told their inquests how he desperately battled to save their lives after finding them lying together on the football pitch. Trevor Hicks had become separated from his "football mad" 15-year-old Vicki and his 19-year-old Sarah, as they watched the 1989 match from different parts of the ground. Mr Hicks, whose wife Jenni was also at the match, said he made his way to the Leppings Lane End terraces where his daughters had been standing. More »

  • Hillsborough Witness Saw Sisters Crushed
    Hillsborough Witness Saw Sisters Crushed Mon, Jun 15, 2015

    Football fans have been recalling the moment they saw two sisters fall victim to crushing during the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. Several witnesses have described seeing 15-year-old Vicky Hicks and her sister Sarah, 19, disappear beneath other supporters on an overcrowded terrace at the stadium. Jeffrey Rex told the inquests jury he saw the two girls struggling as the crush intensified just before the FA Cup semi-final had begun. More »

  • Outcry Over Decision Not To Probe Orgreave
    Outcry Over Decision Not To Probe Orgreave Fri, Jun 12, 2015

    After more than two years considering its decision, the Independent Police Complaints Commission has announced it will not conduct an inquiry into a notorious clash between South Yorkshire Police and striking miners 31 years ago. The Battle of Orgreave, as it became known, involved a mass gathering of miners trying to prevent supplies leaving a coking plant in Rotherham. More »

  • Miners' group seeks public inquiry
    Miners' group seeks public inquiry Fri, Jun 12, 2015

    Campaigners have called for a "Hillsborough-style inquiry" into South Yorkshire Police's handling of violence during the 1984 miners' strike after the police watchdog announced it would not investigate alleged misconduct by officers. More »

  • Sheffield Wednesday's Thai owners sack Gray
    Sheffield Wednesday's Thai owners sack Gray Thu, Jun 11, 2015

    Sheffield Wednesday's Thai owners have sacked manager Stuart Gray, the Championship club revealed on Thursday. More »

  • George Best's forgotten luggage inspires new film
    George Best's forgotten luggage inspires new film Mon, Jun 8, 2015

    The Northern Irishman deposited the suitcase in a secure bank vault during one of his lowest moments and it was forgotten for years after his death in 2005. More »

  • Best's forgotten case inspires film
    Best's forgotten case inspires film Mon, Jun 8, 2015

    The contents of a time capsule suitcase that lay gathering dust for years have inspired a new documentary about tragic football legend George Best. More »

  • New Appeal For Hillsborough Tragedy Witnesses
    New Appeal For Hillsborough Tragedy Witnesses Thu, Jun 4, 2015

    Authorities investigating the Hillsborough football tragedy have released images of five more people they want to reach. They are believed to be potential witnesses to what happened at Hillsborough Football Stadium when 96 Liverpool fans died at the FA Cup semi-final in April 1989. There is also an Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation under way. More »

  • Clubs and families remember Heysel victims 30 years on
    Clubs and families remember Heysel victims 30 years on Fri, May 29, 2015

    By Marine Hass BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Services in Brussels, Liverpool and Turin on Friday commemorated the 39 people, mostly Italians, who were crushed and trampled to death after fighting between rival fans before the European Cup final at the Heysel Stadium 30 years ago. At the site where a wall collapsed, under pressure from Juventus supporters pushed back by Liverpool supporters, a crowd including some victims' families laid wreaths and released 39 balloons beside a plaque bearing the names of those killed. The tragedy in Brussels occurred after rival fans threw missiles, including stones, in the lead-up to the match. More »

  • Heysel and the death of English hooliganism
    Heysel and the death of English hooliganism Wed, May 27, 2015

    The Heysel stadium disaster was one of the blackest days in English football history, but it also prepared the ground for the sport's spectacular rebirth in its ancestral home. More »

  • Steven Gerrard, heroism and heartbreak
    Steven Gerrard, heroism and heartbreak Fri, May 15, 2015

    Steven Gerrard, who plays his last home game for Liverpool on Saturday, is a player destined to be remembered as much for his extraordinary achievements as for his agonising near-misses. More »

  • Here’s What Happened Today: Thursday
    Here’s What Happened Today: Thursday Thu, May 14, 2015

    A breakthrough in bus talks, a new No campaign group and some new jobs for Dublin had people talking. More »

  • Police try to identify six people who helped Hillsborough victims
    Police try to identify six people who helped Hillsborough victims Thu, May 14, 2015

    Some 40 images have been released by police overall in this operation. More »

  • Hillsborough: Last Moments Of Youngest Victim
    Hillsborough: Last Moments Of Youngest Victim Wed, May 13, 2015

    The last moments before Steven Gerrard's cousin was killed in the Hillsborough disaster have been recalled at the inquests into the deaths of the 96 victims. Jon-Paul Gilhooley was just 10 when he died in the crush on 15 April 1989, the youngest victim of the disaster. He shared the same ambition as his cousin to play for Liverpool Football Club. The inquest jury has heard that he went to the match with two of his uncles after a friend of theirs, Rod Jolly, offered them a spare ticket on the morning of the match. More »

  • Sky Man's Memories Of 'Hideous' Bradford Fire
    Sky Man's Memories Of 'Hideous' Bradford Fire Mon, May 11, 2015

    The 30th anniversary of the Bradford fire continues to stir up memories for those, like me, who witnessed a tragedy almost without precedent. I had just turned 17 and was an occasional visitor to Valley Parade. In the grandstand - where I was - the young, the old and the infirm jostled for space. More »

  • Hillsborough 'Lacked Emergency Disaster Plan'
    Hillsborough 'Lacked Emergency Disaster Plan' Wed, May 6, 2015

    The emergency plan in place on the day of the Hillsborough disaster was "bare bones" and "lacked substance", an expert has told a jury. David Whitmore, a former senior paramedic and operations manager in the London Ambulance Service, told the new inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool football fans that more should have been done to raise the alarm as the disaster began to unfold. The jury heard how Mr Whitmore had more than 30 years' experience responding to emergencies and disasters both in a management role and in the field. Questioned by Christina Lambert, on behalf of the coroner, Mr Whitmore was asked for his opinion on the emergency plan in place at the time of the tragedy in 1989. More »

  • Hillsborough Officer Denies Propaganda Claim
    Hillsborough Officer Denies Propaganda Claim Tue, May 5, 2015

    A former senior police officer has denied being part of a "black propaganda unit" to blame Liverpool fans for the Hillsborough disaster. Giving evidence at the inquests into the deaths of 96 supporters, Sir Norman Bettison faced questions about his role preparing evidence for South Yorkshire Police in the aftermath of the crush at the stadium. Peter Wilcock QC, who represents the families of 75 of the victims, put it to Sir Norman that "in spite of your attempts to distance yourself over the last 26 years, your work on the Wain inquiry inherently involved attempting to blame Liverpool fans even when you personally knew they were not to blame". At the time of the disaster in April 1989, Sir Norman was a Chief Inspector with South Yorkshire police. More »

  • Former Chief Denies Hillsborough Meeting Claim
    Former Chief Denies Hillsborough Meeting Claim Fri, May 1, 2015

    A former police chief has denied attending a meeting where a senior colleague allegedly suggested that fans should be blamed for the Hillsborough disaster. Sir Norman Bettison, who was a chief inspector with South Yorkshire police at the time of the tragedy, said claims that he had been there were untrue. Sir Norman was giving evidence to the inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool football supporters at the 1989 FA cup semi-final in Sheffield. In March, former police inspector Clive Davis told the hearing that senior officers went to a meeting at force headquarters on the Monday after the disaster. More »

  • Hillsborough Cop Denies Plotting To Blame Fans
    Hillsborough Cop Denies Plotting To Blame Fans Thu, Apr 30, 2015

    A former chief inspector from South Yorkshire Police has denied he was part of a plot to blame Liverpool fans for the Hillsborough disaster. Giving evidence at the inquests into the deaths of the 96 victims Sir Norman Bettison was asked if he had ever claimed his role was to ensure the force took no responsibility - with the blame placed on the fans. Earlier the inquests had heard that he had boasted about his role in "concocting" a story that all the Liverpool fans were drunk. John Barry who was studying for a part time MBA at Sheffield Business School in the same class as Norman Bettison at the time of the disaster in 1989 recalled a conversation they'd had the month after the disaster. More »

  • Hillsborough Images Released In Fresh Appeal
    Hillsborough Images Released In Fresh Appeal Wed, Apr 29, 2015

    Images of potential witnesses in the Hillsborough investigation have been released in a bid to assist the ongoing inquests into the tragedy. The images have been released on behalf of coroner Sir John Goldring by Operation Resolve, which was set up to investigate whether any individuals or organisations are criminally culpable for their part in the disaster. The officer leading Operation Resolve, Assistant Commissioner Jon Stoddart, said: "The response to our appeal has been phenomenal and I am extremely grateful to the public for their support, especially those who have made contact with us to identify themselves, a relative or friend. More »

  • Hillsborough: 17 Crucial Witnesses Sought
    Hillsborough: 17 Crucial Witnesses Sought Thu, Apr 23, 2015

    Images have been released of 17 people who investigators want to speak to as crucial witnesses to the Hillsborough disaster. It is thought two of those pictured are police officers, one was possibly a steward and the rest were spectators at the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989. Assistant Commissioner Jon Stoddart, from Operation Resolve, the criminal investigation into the disaster, said: "It is important to stress that we believe these people can help the coroner's inquest process. Those who lost loved ones at Hillsborough are urging anyone with information to come forward. More »

  • Hillsborough Report 'Potentially Misleading'
    Hillsborough Report 'Potentially Misleading' Tue, Apr 21, 2015

    The author of a police report which sought to blame Liverpool fans for causing the Hillsborough disaster has admitted that it was "potentially misleading", a jury has heard. Former South Yorkshire Police Chief Superintendent Terry Wain was in charge of preparing a report to the Lord Justice Taylor inquiry set up in the aftermath of the disaster. Giving evidence to the new inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans, the retired officer denied that the so-called "Wain Report" was "half-baked", the inquests heard. Cross-examined by Peter Wilcock, representing 75 families who lost loved ones, Mr Wain told the inquest the report was based on witness statements taken by police officers present at the stadium on the day of the disaster. More »

  • Hillsborough: Police Chief Makes Angry Denials
    Hillsborough: Police Chief Makes Angry Denials Mon, Apr 20, 2015

    A former police officer has angrily denied allegations he told other police officers to fabricate evidence in order to blame "drunken and ticketless" Liverpool fans for causing the Hillsborough disaster. Terry Wain, a Chief Superintendent in South Yorkshire Police at the time of the tragedy, said he was asked to gather evidence from on-duty officers at the stadium in the weeks that followed. Giving evidence to the new inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans, Mr Wain said he had nothing to do with planning the policing of the football match – but had helped counsel officers who had been involved on the day. Mr Wain denied he knew junior officers were told not to make notes in their pocket notebooks. More »

  • Book links Bradford City chairman to other fires
    Book links Bradford City chairman to other fires Wed, Apr 15, 2015

    The former chairman of English football club Bradford City, where 56 people died in a 1985 stadium fire, can be linked to eight other blazes, a new book claims. More »

  • Enda and Joan look beyond water … to getting your vote
    Enda and Joan look beyond water … to getting your vote Wed, Apr 15, 2015

    Here’s everything you need to know about what’s happening in Irish politics right now… More »

  • Hillsborough Survivor Saved By 'Kiss Of Life'
    Hillsborough Survivor Saved By 'Kiss Of Life' Wed, Apr 1, 2015

    Survivors of the Hillsborough tragedy have given moving accounts of what happened to them that day. Ian McDermott, who paid £6 for his ticket to attend the match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, told the jury that he was one of the fans who entered the stadium through a side gate which had been opened by police to allow fans into the ground. He told the inquest he went through a tunnel at the Lepping's Lane end and arrived at a crowded pen three. More »

  • Kristin Scott Thomas Awarded Damehood By Queen
    Kristin Scott Thomas Awarded Damehood By Queen Fri, Mar 20, 2015

    Kristin Scott Thomas has come face-to-face with her next stage character after receiving a damehood from the Queen. The theatre and film actress said she was "clearly very happy" after being honoured by the monarch for her service to drama at Buckingham Palace. Dame Kristin, 54, is set to play the Queen on the London stage from April. She takes over from Dame Helen Mirren in The Audience which is inspired by the Queen's private weekly meetings with the country's prime ministers over her six-decade reign. More »

  • Hillsborough: Commander Confronted By Families
    Hillsborough: Commander Confronted By Families Wed, Mar 18, 2015

    The match commander on the day of the Hillsborough disaster has been confronted by relatives of the victims as he left the inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans. David Duckenfield has now finished giving evidence to the hearing in Warrington. Among those waiting to speak to him was Barry Devonside whose son Christopher died in the crush. I just wanted to face him," Mr Devonside told reporters outside the court. More »