Home alone dog triggers fire by accidentally turning on hob in kitchen

The home in Whitney after a dog accidently set it on fire
-Credit: (Image: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service/SWNS)


A dog inadvertently sparked a blaze that ravaged a kitchen after it managed to switch on the hob. Firefighters dashed to a residence in Witney, Oxfordshire, following reports of a fire initiated by the unwitting canine.

Upon their arrival, they were relieved to discover that neighbours had already come to the rescue, administering CPR to the dog. It is believed that the animal accidentally activated the hob, which had a chip pan on it at the time.

Thankfully, no one was harmed since the dog was the only one at home during the incident. But the kitchen was destroyed, as shocking pictures revealed.

READ MORE: Jeremy Clarkson 'offered almost £1million for Cotswolds pub within minutes of meeting owner'

READ MORE: Teen launches petition for better bereavement support following father's death amid GCSE exams

A dog had to be saved after setting fire to its own home
A dog had to be saved after setting fire to its own home -Credit:Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service/SWNS

A representative for Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Fortunately for the owner, most of the bedroom doors were closed and protected the rooms from additional smoke damage."

They added: "We can happily say the dog is at the vets on oxygen and should recover."

Want the latest Gloucestershire breaking news and top stories first? Click here to join our WhatsApp group. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.