Horrified locals reveal cause of huge fire near Swindon hospital

·1-min read
Photos: Hayley Goodenough
Photos: Hayley Goodenough

PEOPLE living near the scene of a huge field fire which raged into the early hours of Saturday morning have revealed its cause.

They say an overhead power line snapped after a goose flew into it - sending sparks into the tinder-dry field below.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue attended the fire which broke out at a field just off of Day House Lane at roughly 10.30pm and battled it until they had finally put it out a few hours later at 2.04am.

At the time the fire started, houses in the surrounding area experienced a power cut which is believed to have been caused by the snapping electrical cable.

Read: Terrifying pictures show fire raging close to Swindon hospital

A photo taken by Phoenix Stewart, who lives nearby, shows the snapped cable near the blaze.

Swindon Advertiser: The snapped powerline to the left of the blaze Photo: Phoenix Stewart
Swindon Advertiser: The snapped powerline to the left of the blaze Photo: Phoenix Stewart

The snapped powerline to the left of the blaze Photo: Phoenix Stewart

"It was pretty crazy seeing the flames up close, it was started by a goose flying into the overhead power line," Phoenix said.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue confirmed its attendance but was unable to verify the goose story as no cause of the fire was listed on the log.

A spokesperson said: "Crews from Stratton, Swindon, and the water carrier from Royal Wootton Bassett attended along with two appliances from another FRS.

"On arrival, crews found a fire in a field measuring approximately 250 square metres and this was extinguished using beaters, hose reels and wildfire packs."