A DISPOSABLE vape caused a house fire in Netheravon yesterday after it 'exploded'.
Firefighters from Pewsey and Salisbury were called to the property and on arrival found a fire within a bedroom on the first floor.
Two firefighters in breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.
Station Manager Darren Masini said: “The fire started after an attempt to recharge a disposable vape caused it to explode.
"One of the occupants heard the explosion and raised the alarm, calling us for help. The occupants were extremely lucky to avoid injury following this fire.”
He added: “Single use e-cigarettes or ‘vapes’ are not designed to be recharged as they do not have the correct safety systems. These disposable models should only be used once.”
The following advice should always be followed by e-cigarette users:
Never leave e-cigarettes on charge and unattended for long periods, and never leave a device on charge overnight.
Don’t mix components of different e-cigarettes.
Only use the charger supplied.
Ensure that you purchase your e-cigarette from a reputable source.
Check the e-cigarette carries CE certification.
Follow the manufacturer’s guidance.
Never charge e-cigarettes near or on combustible or flammable materials.
Contact Trading Standards over any e-cigarette safety concerns.