Householder Cleared Over Burglar Stab Death

Householder Cleared Over Burglar Stab Death

A man arrested after a burglar was stabbed to death at his house in Bramhall, Stockport, has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Raymond Jacob, 37, suffered fatal wounds in a struggle at the home of courier boss Vincent Cooke on September 17.

Mr Cooke was initially at home alone at the detached property at around 7.50pm but his wife, Karen, and their 12-year-old son returned during the melee.

They escaped unharmed.

Police and paramedics gave first aid to Mr Jacob but he died shortly afterwards.

Mr Cooke, 39, was arrested but has now been told by the Crown Prosecution Service that he will face no further action.

Detectives investigating the incident said they had to determine whether it was "a criminal act" or if it fitted Mr Cooke's claim of self-defence.

The family of known offender Mr Jacob later said they had been "distressed" at the events and supported the police inquiry to find out what happened.

A 33-year-old man from Heald Green, Stockport, is in custody charged with aggravated burglary in connection with the incident and is next due to appear in court in December.


It is the third time in recent months in Greater Manchester alone that self-defence has been deemed acceptable after a suspected intruder has been killed.

In July, the CPS announced no action would be taken against Peter Flanagan, 59, who was accused of stabbing to death suspected burglar John Leonard Bennell, 27.Prosecutors ruled he used "reasonable force".

Mr Flanagan, 59, was arrested on suspicion of murdering Mr Bennell after his home in Ethel Avenue, Salford, was broken into by four masked men in June.

Last month, the CPS also decided no charges should be brought against a pensioner held on suspicion of murder.

Shopkeeper Cecil Coley, 72, was arrested after an incident at his store in Old Trafford in July.

Gary Mullings, 30, suffered fatal wounds during a frantic struggle at the Shrewsbury Street shop.