Hull FC edged out at Huddersfield Giants as home side deliver old adage

Yusuf Aydin in action for Hull FC.
-Credit: (Image: SW Pix)

Hull FC produced a better account at Huddersfield Giants, but it was ultimately in vain as the West Yorkshire outfit held on for a 24-18 victory on Friday night. However, the Black and Whites, who have now lost eleven straight first-grade matches, can at least take something out of their performance, which was much improved on their last two showings at London and Castleford.

That was much more like the forward steps taken in Simon Grix's first three games in interim charge, with the cries of Old Faithful from the 500 or so strong away supporters post-match showcasing the mood. Hull put the effort in, and that was appreciated, with just the final bit of quality lacking in their play.

They had bright moments throughout the match, but the difference between the two sides was the taking of chances. It's the old sporting adage, and Hull missed some big opportunities to score. Huddersfield didn't. Sometimes, it's those fine margins that count, and that was certainly the case at the birthplace of rugby league.

Click here - Get the latest news on our Rugby League Live WhatsApp channel

Breaking the line on several occasions, Hull tested their opposition, but the final ball or the crucial bit of composure was unfortunately lacking. Still, it was a step in the right direction and something to at least go on upon their home return against Leeds Rhinos in two weeks time.

Playing their fourth consecutive away game, Grix made two changes to his Hull side, with Davy Litten replacing Zach Jebson on the interchange. Elsewhere, Tiaki Chan was given a first start for the club, with Brad Fash instead coming off the bench. Logan Moy got the nod at full-back again, producing another stern account, with Cam Scott and Herman Ese'ese also catching the eye.

In fact, Hull started on the front foot and got the first pieces of field position, but despite a half-break from Ben Reynolds close to the line, they didn't ask enough questions, with Huddersfield holding firm in defence. The home side then took the lead with their first attacking opportunity. A Tom Briscoe error from a high ball was punished, with Tui Lolohea's pass finding Jake Bibby, with the winger finishing well.

After what was a slow start, Huddersfield grew into the first half and then extended their lead as Sebastine Ikahihifo ran a strong line off the impressive Leroy Cudjoe, who linked into the middle with his slick ball handling to score. However, Hull then hit back through Ese'ese, with the prop, into his second stint of the first half, evading a couple of tackle attempts to power over under the sticks.

Huddersfield added a penalty goal on the half-time hooter as Ligi Sao was pinned for not standing square. Oliver Russell made no mistake, ensuring the Giants held an eight-point lead at the break.

Hull, without Liam Sutcliffe who succumbed to a hamstring injury, came out of the blocks strong in the second half. Scott broke the line, with Reynolds stopped in his tracks. Sao then rampaged through, but the Black and Whites couldn't finish the move off, a common theme.

The away side then lost Harvey Barron to a HIA, with Chan also going through the same process in the first half. Chan returned, but Barron did not, with Danny Houghton also taken off as the club manage his ongoing rib issue. And as the hour mark approached, Huddersfield landed a key blow, with Kevin Naiqama cutting into the line and passing to Bibby, who had enough space to cross over for his second try. The Giants then got what turned out to be the winner as Sam Halsall squeezed himself over on the left edge, with Russell adding a further penalty goal.

Hull kept going, with Logan Moy scoring his first Super League try following an offload from Sao, with Scott then finishing off a lengthy move to set up a grandstand finish. Hull got one more chance in the final minute to level the scores. However, despite a last roll of the dice, they couldn't get over again, with Huddersfield holding on for a six-point victory.


Huddersfield Starting XIII: 6. Tui Lolohea, 24. Sam Halsall, 3. Esan Marsters, 4. Kevin Naiqama, 5. Jake Bibby; 21. Oliver Russell, 7. Adam Clune; 8. Chris Hill, 19. Thomas Deakin, 13. Luke Yates; 12. Sam Hewitt, 16. Harry Rushton, 21. Leroy Cudjoe.

Interchange: 1. Jake Connor, 14. Ashton Golding, 17. Oliver Wilson, 18. Sebastine Ikahihifo. 18th man: 10. Joe Greenwood

Hull Starting XIII: 37. Logan Moy; 44. Tom Briscoe, 17. Cam Scott, 4. Liam Sutcliffe, 25. Harvey Barron, 6. Jake Trueman, 47. Ben Reynolds; 8. Herman Ese’ese, 9. Danny Houghton, 45. Yusuf Aydin; 15. Jordan Lane, 46. Tiaki Chan; 12. Ligi Sao.

Interchange: 13. Brad Fash, 16. Jack Ashworth, 19. Morgan Smith, 23. Davy Litten. 18th Man: 26. Lewis Martin


Huddersfield Tries: Bibby 2, Ikahihifo, Halsall. Goals: Russell 4/6

Hull Tries: Ese'ese, Moy, Scott

Goals: Reynolds 3/3

Scoring System: 6-0, 12-0, 12-6, 14-6, HT, 18-6, 22-6, 24-6, 24-12, 24-18, FT

Referee: Ben Thaler

Attendance: 4,102

Read more: Highlights as Hull FC fightback in vain as Huddersfield Giants hold on for victory