AN INDIAN takeaway and restaurant in Freshwater has taken steps to improve after being served a one-star 'Major Improvement Necessary' food hygiene rating.
Jaffran, on School Green Road, was inspected by the Isle of Wight Council earlier this year and while environmental health officers found the restaurant had made improvements to its cleanliness, there were a 'number of areas of poor food hygiene practices'.
Inspectors reported high-risk foods, including cooked meats and rice, being stored at ambient temperatures, which they said could have allowed food poisoning bacteria and mould to grow.
Containers of prawns were being defrosted at room temperature, they found.
There was also a failure to implement control and monitoring procedures, inconsistent food labelling and an unclear stock rotation and control system.
Opening and closing checks were marked as being completed, inspectors found, but the person making those records was unsure whether they actually had been.
The wash hand basin in the kitchen was blocked from use by a container of food being defrosted and equipment and utensils which had been used on high-risk foods were not being effectively cleaned, as they needed something stronger than a detergent.
A food hygiene certificate also showed it had been 14 years since a certain member of staff had had any formal training, leading the inspector to say they lacked sufficient knowledge.
A spokesperson for the restaurant has since said they have taken measures including buying new equipment, implementing new practices and completed training to meet the food safety standard regulations.
They said all food items are regularly checked and labelled, following the 'first in, first out' method and frozen items are now defrosted in the chiller.
The spokesperson also said they use concentrated antibacterial cleaners, heavy degreasers and food-grade sanitising tablets for washing up, daily and scheduled cleaning.
The opening and closing checks are now being monitored in a duly manner and the wash hand basin has been replaced.