Iran charges more than 750 over 'riots', issues first death sentence

© Wana News Agency via Reuters

Iran on Sunday issued its first death sentence linked to participation in "riots", amid nationwide protests since the death of Mahsa Amini, the judiciary's Mizan Online website said.

The accused was sentenced in a Tehran court to death for the crime of "setting fire to a government building, disturbing public order, assembly and conspiracy to commit a crime against national security, and an enemy of God and corruption on earth", one of the most serious offences under Iranian law, Mizan Online reported.

Another court in Tehran sentenced five others to prison terms of between five to 10 years for "gathering and conspiring to commit crimes against national security and disturbing public order".

All those convicted can appeal their sentence, Mizan added.

Dozens of people, mainly demonstrators but also security personnel, have been killed during the protests, which the authorities have branded as "riots".

Earlier on Sunday, the judiciary said it had charged more than 750 people in three provinces for involvement in such incidents.

More than 2,000 people had already been charged, nearly half of them in the capital Tehran, since the demonstrations began in mid-September, according to judiciary figures.

Judicial chief for the southern province of Hormozgan, Mojtaba Ghahremani, said 164 people had been charged "after the recent riots", Mizan Online ealier said.

They face accusations including "incitement to killing", "harming security forces", "propaganda against the regime" and "damaging public property", the website said, adding that their trials would begin "from Thursday in the presence of their lawyers".

(AFP)


Read more on FRANCE 24 English

Read also:
France says two more French citizens being held in Iran, bringing total to seven
Iran protests continue as demonstrators commemorate deadly crackdown in southeast
Iran women activists praise 'groundbreaking' Macron talks, urge action