Island weather warning issued as severe gales and spells of heavy rain loom
A WEATHER warning for severe gales has been issued by the Isle of Wight Met Service this morning (Wednesday).
It goes live at midnight on Thursday, and runs until 4pm on Friday.
"A late season winter storm system will quickly move in from the west during the early hours of Friday morning," said Jamie Russell for the service.
"It will bring some severe gales, accompanied by spells of heavy rain.
"Southwesterly winds are expected to gust up to 60mph widely across the Island, with a few exposed locations potentially seeing gusts as high as 70mph."
• Falling tree debris, such as twigs and branches
• Risk of damage to garden furniture
• Exceptionally large waves affecting the Island's western and southern coast
• Dangerous conditions for small watercraft
• Possible delays and cancellations to public transport, especially cross Solent travel