EXCLUSIVE: Issa López (Tigers Are Not Afraid) is set to write the script and is attached to direct an adaptation of the Matthew Baker short story Lost Souls, which Searchlight and Noah Hawley optioned last year.
The film is set in a world in which some babies are born without souls. A young expectant mother is sent to an unusual wellness center in the desert, with the hopes that it will improve her chances of delivering a healthy baby. It is one of several short stories written by Baker that turned into big movie deals. Hawley and his 26 Keys is turning Baker’s short story Why Visit America into an FX pilot Baker is writing and Hawley is exec producing. Hawley is producing two others based on Baker stories.
More from Deadline
- Noah Hawley On His 'Star Trek' Movie & Connection To Greater Universe: "I Have My Own Take"; Updates On 'Cat's Cradle', 'Doctor Doom' & More - TCA
- Paramount Setting Noah Hawley To Write & Direct 'Star Trek' Film
- 'Lucy In The Sky' Director Noah Hawley On Restoring Dignity To A Tabloid Story With Natalie Portman Pic - Toronto Q&A
López won Best Director in the Horror Category at Fantastic Fest 2017 for her film Tigers Are Not Afraid, which was released by AMC Shudder. She is currently in development on a supernatural folklore film that Guillermo Del Toro will produce for Searchlight. She’s repped by Paradigm, Macro Management and Hirsch Wallerstein.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers