Thanks to Issa Rae and natural-hair guru Felicia Leatherwood, girls and women with kinky, curly, and wavy hair are exploring the limitless possibilities of rocking their textured tresses. From braided topknots adorned with cowrie shells and Rapunzel-style thick plaits, to heart-shaped Afros and off-centered buns with loose waves, the Insecure star and her stylist are having lots of fun.
The duo also doesn’t disappoint when it comes to serving hot red-carpet looks. One of our favorite styles from Issa Rae was this half-twisted halo of curls, which experimented with contrasting textures and voluminous spiral ringlets.
Check out the video above to see how New York City-based hairstylist Zeta Korqa for Glamsquad recreated Issa Rae’s halo of curls in a matter of minutes. Then keep reading below for product recommendations and pro tips to nail the look yourself at home.
1. Use a rat-tail comb to part hair vertically at the crown into four to six sections, depending on hair length and head shape.
2. Apply a small amount of Eco Styler Krystal Styling Gel along hairline. Then, smooth strands with a boar-bristle brush.
3. Tightly twist each section into rope-style braids.
4. Secure curly-hair piece onto the back section of head, making sure to cover the ends of two-strand twists.
5. Pin to hold extensions in place.
6. Use fingers to tease curls and form halo shape. Pro tip: Add a light hair oil, like Marc Anthony’s Strictly Curls Dry Styling Oil, for extra sheen, without worrying about buildup or flakes.
Makeup details: Sade Hazard for Glamsquad accentuated New York City-based writer Kamara Williams‘s eyebrows with brow powder, grooming them into a natural arch. Then she used gold and chocolate shadows on her lids to make her eye color pop. When you’re blessed with killer cheekbones like Williams’s, you ought to show them off! NARSissist Dual-Intensity Blush Palette contains an amazing combination of earth-toned powders that’ll sculpt cheeks with just a few strokes. To complete the look, finish with a red-orange lip color, like NARS Audacious Lipstick in Geraldine.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
- Issa Rae Wins Best Courtside Beauty at the NBA All-Star Game
- Yara Shahidi, Amara La Negra, and more celebrities share their natural hair stories
- All the beautiful natural hair moments at Fashion Week