Italian couple phoned family to say thank you from 23rd floor Grenfell Tower flat as blaze took hold

A young Italian couple shared heartbreaking final phonecalls with their families as flames approached their 23rd floor flat in Grenfell Tower.

Gloria Trevisan and Marco Gottardi, both 26, made the unimaginable calls to Italy as the blaze took hold of the doomed tower block.

The engaged couple – both architecture graduates – had arrived in London from Venice just three months ago.

In an emotional conversation with her mum at 3am, Ms Trevisan said: “Thank you for what you have done for me.”

Read more about the Grenfell Tower fire

Sadiq Khan confronted by angry child – ‘What are you going to do about it?’
People are comparing Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn’s visits to the Grenfell Tower
The tragic final words of Syrian refugee killed in Grenfell Tower fire
Grenfell Tower firefighter praised after sharing heartfelt photo in the aftermath of the blaze
Lawyers offer free help to homeless Grenfell Tower residents seeking compensation after horror blaze

Gloria and her mum, in a photo she shared last December (Instagram/glo_trevi)

Mr Gottardi’s dad Giannino had been speaking to his son and his girlfriend up until the last minute, with the final contact coming in a call from Marco just after 4am.

He told Italian newspaper Il Mattino di Padova: “In the first call Marco told us not to worry, that everything was under control, that basically we must not worry.

This image, captioned ‘goodnight London’ is believed to be of the view from the couple’s Grenfall Tower flat (Instagram/glo-trevi)

“He was trying to minimise what happened, probably not to unsettle us but in the second call – and I can’t get this out of my head – he said there was smoke, that so much smoke was rising.

“We were on the phone until the last moment.”

200 firefighters fought to bring the blaze at Grenfell Tower under control (Rex)

He added: “At 4.07am he told us their apartment was flooded with smoke and that the situation had become an emergency.

“The communications broke down and from that moment on we no longer had any contact – the phone didn’t pick up again.”

A lawyer for the families has said that the distressing calls have left them with no hope that the couple have survived.

The death toll from the tragedy has today been confirmed at 30 people, though many more are still missing.