Jailed: Jordan Johnson-Ogunkoya sentenced to eight years for 'despicable and unprovoked' stabbing

Chloe Chaplain
Jailed: Johnson-Okunkoya has been sentenced to eight years: Metropolitan Police

A teenager has been jailed for eight years after stabbing a 17-year-old with a 13-inch knife in a “despicable” attack.

Jordan Johnson-Ogunkoya, 19, was with a group of people who attacked two teenage boys on Halloween 2014 in a case of mistaken identity.

He stabbed two of them – leaving one with a severed bowel in two places and serious damage to his renal artery.

Johnson-Ogunkoya of Turnham Road, Brockley, was jailed for eight years at the Old Bailey on Friday having previously pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm with intent.

The Judge described the knife that was used as "a shocking weapon" and stated that Johnson-Ogunkoya posed "a high risk of harm".

Judge Bate added: "We see this all too often, young man carrying knives routinely, with grievous or fatal consequences and young lives are left utterly ruined."

Stabbing: Police were called to Queens Mead Recreation Ground (Google Maps)

Police rushed to Queens Mead Recreation Ground in Bromley just before midnight on October 31 following reports of a large group of youths attacking two teens.

Officers found a 17-year-old boy suffering from serious injuries to the abdomen and a 16-year-old with stab wounds to his leg.

Both were rushed to a south London hospital and the 16-year-old victim was discharged a few hours later.

The 17-year-old victim remained in hospital until December after suffering a large stab wound to the abdomen. He lost lots of blood and was left with “life changing injuries”.

Detective inspector Charles Clare said: "This was a despicable, cowardly and wholly unprovoked attack which has had a significant impact on the life of both the young victim and his family. He very nearly died.

“There was nothing at all to connect the victims to Johnson-Ogunkoya, they were simply the victims of mistaken identity.

"The investigation was exceedingly challenging and I am delighted we have secured this conviction. I would like to thank the bravery of the victim and his family and hope this result allows them to move forward."

Johnson-Okunkoya was arrested on June 2016 – two years after the stabbing – after a huge police investigation.

After being charged he fled the country to Jamaica but was arrested again at Gatwick Airport on December 29.