Jailed: Mother who hid body of baby son in north London home for more than a decade

Patrick Grafton-Green
Jailed: Victoria Gayle hit her son's body for over a decade: Met Police

A mother who spun a “web of lies” while hiding the body of her baby son at a north London home for more than a decade has been jailed.

Victoria Gayle, who covered up the death of her baby son for 11 years until it was found in a garden shed in west Hendon, has been sentenced to 21 months in prison.

There was no reaction from the 32-year-old as she stood in the dock at Kingston Crown Court.

Gayle, of no fixed address, had previously pleaded guilty to preventing a lawful burial, but pleaded not guilty to perjury and perverting the course of justice. The allegations will lie on file.

Judge Susan Tapping told Gayle: "Your little boy was denied a decent burial.

"A web of lies began in 2014 and went on to every authority that tried to find out what had happened to him.

"The full truth of his sad and short life will never be known."

The were remains found inside the shed (Met Police)

Despite two post mortems and the long-term deterioration of her son Kyzer's remains, the cause of his death has been given as "unascertained".

Gayle was sentenced to 21 months and will remain on licence for 12 months on release.

Estimates suggest that Kyzer may have been around 13 or 14 months old when he died, and little is known about him since he was last seen in 2004.

His remains, showing he was malnourished, were found in a garden shed on May 31, 2016.

This was at the west Hendon home of Gayle's mother and step-father, but they knew nothing about the death.

The shed in Gayle's Hendon home

Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh, who led the investigation, said: "This has been a very complex and at times very distressing investigation for all concerned.

"Kyzer Gayle was not seen for over a decade and Victoria Gayle admitted preventing lawful burial when faced with compelling evidence.

"It has now been concluded that the skeletal remains are those of Kyzer."

Detectives attended an address in Fryent Crescent on May 30 last year and began an extensive search of the property.

Gayle, who was not present, was located in Luton and initially arrested on suspicion of murder.

She initially claimed that Kyzer's father was a traveller whom she met through a friend and, when Kyzer was around ten months old, it was decided that he should retain full custody.

She told police that this was the last time she saw her son and she had no further contact with the man.

As the search at Fryent Crescent entered a second day, specialist police search officers found the body’s body in one of several garden sheds.

Officers found a cocoon of duct tape in a cardboard box which contained the remains of the child, who was seated in a cut down push chair.

On June 2 last year, Gayle was further arrested on suspicion of preventing a lawful and decent burial.

DCI McHugh added: "Whilst Victoria Gayle has been sentenced today our work by no means stops here.

"It is only right, after this child was denied a dignified burial that we continue with our investigation. I remain committed to establishing the circumstances around how Kyzer died."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8785 8099 or police via 101 and @MetCC.

To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.