James Corden will be hosting his final Late Late Show on April 27. In a new interview with CBS Sunday News, the British star explains why he's decided to leave the late-night talk show after eight years, and why he'd be "gobsmacked" if he ever returned.
Speaking to CBS's Ben Mankiewicz, Corden, 44, explains that he and his wife Julia always saw the show — which spawned the popular "Carpool Karaoke" — as "an adventure, not a final destination." While Corden calls living and working in America a "privilege," he says that he and Julia are now looking forward to raising their three children in their native England.
"We really want our children to experience life in London," he says. "We're blown away that they've even had the experience of living in another country."
As a Tony winner and the co-creator of the popular British series Gavin & Stacy, the actor and writer is also eager to take on new opportunities.
"It's how much you look at your professional life and your career, and your personal life and your growth as a family," he says. "That's what it is. There's just so many other things that I'd like to try and see what I might be capable of. More than anything, I've just got to go and see what's out there."
And while some departing late-night hosts have found themselves returning to the role, Corden finds it unlikely that he'll follow suit.
"I can't envisage a scenario where I would return as a late-night host," he says. "I'd be very, very surprised if [I] did. I'd be gobsmacked."
During the interview, Corden neatly deflects questions about the restaurant incident that got him briefly banned from New York City's Balthazar last year. The host, who got backlash after complaining about how his wife's eggs were cooked, tells Mankiewicz that "perspective is really important" and that he tries to focus on "positivity."
"I don't have social media on my phone," he adds. "It's not a world that I sort of engage in."