Jamie Lee Curtis says Freaky Friday sequel ‘is going to happen’
Jamie Lee Curtis has unofficially confirmed that a sequel to Freaky Friday is happening.
The actress — who is up for best supporting actress at this year’s Oscar — first teased the prospect of a follow-up to the beloved Disney film last year following talks with the House of Mouse and co-star Lindsay Lohan.
Now, Curtis, 64, says it is more or less a done deal.
Speaking to Variety at the Producers Guild Awards at the weekend, the Halloween Kills star said: “It’s going to happen. Without saying there’s anything officially happening, I’m looking at you in this moment and saying, ‘Of course it’s going to happen.’ It’s going to happen.”
It follows her remarks to the same publication where she said: “There is no scheduled date, but we’re talking. The right people are talking.”
She added: “I’m 64 in a week and Lindsay is 36 … [A sequel] lends itself so beautifully.
“We’re both committed to it, and it’s not ours to make. It’s Disney’s to make and I think they’re interested and we’re talking,”
The 2003 film, which starred Curtis and Lohan as a mother and daughter whose bodies are switched, reportedly made more than $160 million on a $26 million budget.
It was based on Mary Rodgers’s 1972 novel of the same name, which has spawned several film adaptions over the year, including Disney’s first attempt in 1976 featuring Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster.
Most recently, it was reinterpreted in 2020 as a horror-comedy film called Freaky.