Jay Slater investigator breaks silence on major lead Tenerife police have dismissed

A source says that UK and Tenerife police should be investigating the new lead
-Credit: (Image: (Image: Handout))

Urgent calls have been made for police in Tenerife and the UK to investigate allegations missing teenager Jay Slater was involved in a £12,000 Rolex theft.

Jay, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, disappeared on the Spanish island of Tenerife on June 17, and despite extensive search efforts, he remains unlocated, reports The Express.

Fresh information has surfaced, with ex-detective Mark Williams-Thomas, who is independently investigating the disappearance of the 19 year old apprentice bricklayer, disclosing that Jay had confessed to stealing the watch to his mates.

READ MORE Brits born in these years set for 'instant pay rise' after Labour win

UK authorities are reportedly not looking into the matter, and Tenerife police are refusing to comment. The newspaper also claims to have been provided with the identity of a British criminal who shares acquaintances with Jay and is linked to the watch business in Tenerife.

A source told The Sun: "The Spanish police have failed to pick up all the threads and it's time British detectives stepped in. Jay might have gone missing on Tenerife but many of the people he crossed paths with are British."

In another development, an ex-British Army officer has suggested that Jay Slater's phone may have been 'thrown' prior to his disappearance. He was last seen leaving an Airbnb near the village of Masca at about eight in the morning.

His phone's final known location was in the Parque Rural de Teno nature reserve. Before calling off their formal search last week, Spanish authorities concentrated their search there.

Mark Williams-Thomas
Mark Williams-Thomas -Credit:@mwilliamsthomas on X

His family continues their own search efforts. A fresh angle has emerged in the case of missing Jay from Tenerife, as journalist Nick Pisa shares insights from an ex-British Army officer on the peculiar location of Jay's phone signal.

Pisa relayed the conversation with the former military man: "We're not obviously being kept up to speed, but [the former officer] did tell me that he thought where the ping came from was rather surprising because it was really steep to get to, and it was covered in undergrowth and cacti," during his discussion with GB News.

The ex-officer speculated that reaching the spot where the phone pinged would necessitate a machete due to the dense vegetation, or alternatively, the phone could have been tossed into the thicket.

Lucy Mae Law, a friend of Jay's who accompanied him to the Canary Islands, was one of the last people to be in contact with him. She received a message around 8am on the day he vanished, in which Jay mentioned he was walking back after missing his bus, felt thirsty and tired, had suffered a cactus-related injury, and his phone battery was running low.

Get all the latest and breaking news straight to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter here.