Jay Slater update issued by Spanish police in search for missing teen in Tenerife

The Spanish police have indicated they are still hopeful of locating missing teenager Jay Slater. A source linked to the ongoing investigation has quashed rumours that the authorities consider Jay as "missing feared dead", asserting numerous leads are still being pursued.

Queries regarding the progress and current state of the investigation were addressed by a Civil Guard spokesperson, stating: "The investigation is ongoing and several lines of inquiry are being pursued." The 19-year-old Brit from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire disappeared three weeks ago post-attending a rave in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife.

Increasing frustrations are brewing among his aggrieved relatives over perceived inaction by local police who ceased official searches after a fortnight and hastily cleared two men who transported Jay to a secluded Airbnb close to the Masco village, even permitting their return to the UK. Jay's father, Warren, and his brother Zak, took it upon themselves to scour the challenging mountain terrain where his mobile last signalled its location.

Get the latest news straight to your phone by joining us on WhatsApp

On July 8, an anguished Warren implored British officials to intervene and assist in locating his lost son; however, Lancashire Police has stated their stance remains unwavering - they won't render aid in the search effort on foreign soil. The search for the missing British teenager in Tenerife has become increasingly desperate, with the family now expanding their efforts beyond the initial area where his phone signal was last detected.

Warren explained that they have extended the hunt from the Valley of Barranco de Juan Lopez to the adjacent Los Carrizales valley, reports the Mirror. He expressed the enormity of the task ahead, stating it could take an army a decade to comb through the vast and challenging mountainous landscape.

He also recounted how the search party had been led on "two wild goose chases" after receiving tips about deserted buildings where Jay might be found. Jay, an apprentice bricklayer, vanished on June 17 after leaving an Airbnb in Masca's vicinity.

He was last seen after a night out at the Papagayo nightclub in Playa de las Americas, departing with two fellow Britons back to their accommodation. Warren voiced frustration over the lack of communication from Spanish authorities and urged for British police involvement, suggesting that the two men who were with Jay on the night he disappeared should be interviewed.

"We need to, as a full family, do a proper press conference and ask the British authorities to help. He's a British citizen. Get Interpol involved," Warren said.

"It's just us. I haven't got a team. We need a team to come over here and find out for us what the police are doing and what we need to do. Our hands are tied over here, we need experts. How long can you stay here for? It'll take an army 10 years to cover all this. I'd employ a team of Gurkhas."

He added: "We've done the valley where his ping was, we've gone up the road to a vantage point, there's cliffs there and there's a valley and a village there."

He expressed confusion as to why anyone would attempt to hike through the brambles and cacti when there was a rough path available. "All I'm thinking is common sense, would you try and walk through there. Where we've been today you can see there's a hikers path with proper stones. We've gone straight down and you end up in the village," he said.

Warren also questioned why no-one had seen his son walking along the winding mountain road in a popular tourist spot. "From the bnb, he's a fit lad, 25 minutes you can get to the top, to where the café is. If he's followed the road and been where we've been today, it's took him an hour and a half, " he said.

"Dozens of cars would have gone past him. We got here at 9am and the 10am bus passed us. And it would have passed him. I've been up here three weeks and I've never seen as many cars."

The Airbnb Jay visited was rented by convicted drug dealer Ayub Qassim. He has said: "I let the geezer stay at mine because he had nowhere else to go. His friends had all left him."

"I know Jay, through friends, I'm not going to bring someone back to mine if I don't know them. I'm doing the geezer a favour and now my face is all over the news. It's a bit mental. I haven't even done anything."

Qassim also remarked: "The only comment I have to make is that Jay came to the house alive, and he left the house alive." The search by Spanish officials concluded last weekend following a 14-day effort.