Jay Slater search given fresh hope as 'hunters and dogs' to descend on area

A photo of people searching for Jay Slater
-Credit: (Image: Stan Kujawa)


There's fresh hope in the search for missing Jay Slater as hunters and dogs are reportedly set to flood the search area in Tenerife.

The 19-year-old apprentice bricklayer from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, vanished on June 17, sparking a widespread search. Mr Slater went missing after he left walking from an Airbnb in Masca, a small village in the north of the Spanish island - some 11 hours away from his accommodation.

Search and rescue teams have so far failed to locate the missing teen. A woman from the village of Los Carrizales, just northwest of Masca, explained just one Guardia Civil police vehicle had been seen in the area on Saturday, the Mirror reports.

READ MORE: Jay Slater's dad questions investigation as he claims 'everything stinks' in search for son

READ MORE: Jay Slater's 'real reason' for turning down lift, TV detective claims

But she told Sky News partridge hunting season is starting soon, which means hunters and dogs will flood the area. She said: "There will be different people in the area and a better chance of finding him."

Partridge hunting season begins in early August, although some hunters have been seen in the area training before next month. On Sunday, Sky News reported that two huntsmen with a pack of dogs were spotted in the same area that was searched by a local hiking group, along with members of Mr Slater's family the previous day.

Speculation over the circumstances of Mr Slater's disappearance have persisted as no trace of him has been found in the past three weeks. It emerged last week that one of the last people to see the teen was found to be a convicted drug dealer.

TV detective Mark Williams-Thomas explained the investigation had opened up an established criminal network with links to drugs, violent crime and theft. He said: "As part of this investigation we have sought to speak with all of the people Jay had contact with whilst in Tenerife.

"The result of this digging has opened up an established criminal network with links to drugs, violent crime and theft. At this stage I cannot expand any further on what we now know. I'm unable to say if this network has anything to do with Jay's disappearance but remain open-minded as we continue to investigate."

Mr Slater's mum Debbie Duncan said her family will remain on the island until he is found. She shared an update on a GoFundMe page that has raised more than £51,680 in donations to help find her son.

She said: "We have been contacted by a wonderful group of locals who have volunteered to continue the search. While they don't wish to accept financial help for their search, we will be supporting them with supplies and are so grateful for their willingness to help.

"We also continue to be contacted by experienced groups offering to support our search. We are busy talking to them about what they can do to assist. But in order for us to employ their help, they need to have permission from the Spanish authorities."

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here