Jay Slater's heartbroken mum shares new update as she reveals potential search setback

Jay Slater has been missing for around three weeks
-Credit: (Image: Family Handout/LBT Global/PA)


The heartbroken mum of Jay Slater has shared a new update on the fundraising page set up following his disappearance, as she revealed a setback for the family during their search.

Jay's family have teamed up with volunteers in Tenerife to search on the ground for the 19-year-old. But their efforts, like those of the police who called a halt to their search last week, have unfortunately not brought about Jay's recovery.

On July 6, Jay's mum Debbie shared an update on the fundraiser that was set up in the days after he vanished to "bring him home". The distraught parent thanked people for all their help and support. She also said there was an issue that could hinder the search effort, reports the Mirror.

Debbie wrote: "We have been overwhelmed by the kindness and support we have received and would like to thank the local hiking group for all of their help planning the routes to find our Jay.

"We have been contacted by a wonderful group of locals who have volunteered to continue the search. While they don’t wish to accept financial help for their search, we will support them with supplies and are so grateful for their willingness to help."

Debbie explained that she is being contacted by experienced search and rescue agencies offering their support. But experts could be denied access as permission has to be granted by Spanish authorities.

Jay's dad Warren Slater and brother Zak continue to search
Jay's dad Warren Slater and brother Zak continue to search -Credit:Stan Kujawa

She continued: "We also continue to be contacted by experienced groups offering to support our search. We are busy talking to them about what they can do to assist. But in order for us to employ their help, they need to have permission from the Spanish authorities.

"We will be sure to keep you all updated on our progress and are so grateful for your continued support to bring our boy home. Please keep sharing and supporting our fundraiser however you can."

On Friday, Glen Duncan, 41, brother of Jay's mum Debbie, joined the search for the teenager, who has been missing for almost three weeks.

He said: “We've just been out with some Spanish volunteers. They’ve been through it by foot and the dogs, there’s obviously been areas searched by helicopter and drones. For me, he's not up here. That's what I get the impression of."

Speaking about his nephew, Glen said: "I was close to Jay. He was just a typical, great young lad with a massive circle of friends who loved the good time. He was looking forward to coming here. First lads' holiday, we've all been there, haven’t we?

"We're still holding onto hope - we have to because we don't know. He’s not been found so you’ve got to cling on.

"I’m sure Madeleine McCann’s parents still cling to that hope, that she’s somewhere on the other side of the world 20 years later. She’s never been found and there's no proof of whatever has happened to her. It’s so treacherous down there. Look at the state of me. I'm not a climber, I’m not a hiker.

"It’s so easy to get lost down there. There was a group of us and you can’t see anybody. It got to a point where I wasn't even looking for my nephew, I was just trying to find my own way out to safety. If he has wandered off I just can't see how he would wander all the way down there. When you’re lost you stick to a path. I don't know if he was afraid of someone or something."

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.