Johanna Konta: British number one out of Wimbledon after member of her team tests positive for COVID

·1-min read

British number one Johanna Konta has pulled out of Wimbledon after a member of her team tested positive for coronavirus.

The All England Club said in a statement: "A member of Johanna Konta's team presented with COVID-19 symptoms this morning, and immediately isolated and undertook a PCR test in accordance with The Championships' testing protocols.

"A positive result was returned which resulted in the AELTC, together with Public Health England, identifying Johanna Konta to be a close contact.

"In line with government legislation, she is required to self-isolate for 10 days and therefore is withdrawn from The Championships."

The official Wimbledon Twitter account said: "Johanna Konta has been withdrawn from The Championships - in line with government legislation she is required to self-isolate for 10 days having been classified as a close contact of a positive test for COVID-19.

"Yafan Wang will take her position in the draw as a lucky loser."

The tournament returns on Monday after being cancelled last year due to the pandemic, and will welcome fans.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting