Boris Johnson has condemned the racist abuse of England players after their Euro defeat, telling those responsible to “crawl back under the rock from which you emerged”.
Marcus Rashford , Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka, who all failed to score from the spot on Sunday night’s Euro 2020 final, were targeted with racist comments on social media shortly afterwards.
Twitter said it had proactively removed more than 1,000 posts over the past 24 hours which violated its policy and permanently suspended a number of accounts.
Speaking on the matter during a Downing Street briefing, Mr Johnson said: “To those who have been directing racist abuse at some of the players, I say shame on you and I hope you will crawl back under the rock from which you emerged.
“Because this entire team played like heroes and I’m sure that this is just the beginning of their achievements, and I say bring on Qatar next year, and let’s also dare to start to hope, together with Ireland, our United Kingdom can host the World Cup in 2030.”
The UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) has launched an investigation into the racist abuse targeted at players online and said it is working to trace and identify the perpetrators.
While Home Secretary Priti Patel said she was “disgusted” by the “vile” racist abuse players were subjected to, writing on Twitter: “It has no place in our country and I back the police to hold those responsible accountable.”
But Labour’s deputy leader Angela Rayner accused the Home Secretary and the Prime Minister of giving licence to the racists who abused the England players, following their stance on players taking the knee.
Ms Patel described footballers taking the knee as “gesture politics” during an interview with GB News last month, in which she also did not condemn football fans who booed players for doing so.
Meanwhile, in a briefing to Westminster reporters last month, Mr Johnson’s official spokesman said: “On taking the knee, specifically, the Prime Minister is more focused on action rather than gestures… but he fully respects the right of those who do choose to peacefully protest to make their feelings known.”
Three days later, however, when asked if Mr Johnson backs players taking the knee, a Number 10 spokesman said: “Yes. The Prime Minister respects the right of all people to peacefully protest and make their feelings known about injustices.
“The Prime Minister wants to see everybody getting behind the team to cheer them on, not boo.”
Facebook, which owns Instagram, said it tries to remove harmful content as quickly as possible and encouraged people to use the tools it offers to block abuse.
A company spokesperson said: “In addition to our work to remove this content, we encourage all players to turn on Hidden Words, a tool which means no-one has to see abuse in their comments or DMs.
“No one thing will fix this challenge overnight, but we’re committed to keeping our community safe from abuse.”
Football players are regularly subjected to abuse after games, with Rashford and Raheem Sterling among those speaking out against racist hatred.
Following the abuse towards players on Sunday, an FA spokesman called on social media companies to “step up and take accountability and action to ban abusers from their platforms” and urged the Government to “act quickly” to introduce legislation aimed at tackling online hate.