Keep pets away from e-cigarettes over poisoning fears, vets warn

Chloe Chaplain
E-Cigarettes: Animals can become ill after biting into the devices: PA

Pet owners have been warned to keep animals away from e-cigarettes after a spike in the number of poisoning cases linked to the devices.

Vets warned that reports of pets becoming ill after biting into e-cigarettes or refills have soared from 17 in 2013 to 113 last year.

Gudrun Ravetz, president of the British Veterinary Association, said the liquid nicotine found in the devices could contain sufficient quantities to kill a small animal, according to the Times.

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) also recorded a spike in cases of fanconi syndrome - a rare disorder causing kidney damage – which experts believe may stem from dried meat treats made in China.

Vets warned that reports of pets becoming ill after biting into e-cigarettes or refills have soared (Anthony Devlin/PA )

And there has been a rise in cases of poisoning caused by vitamin D supplements.

Painkillers, chocolate and lilies were the biggest cause of sickness in animals but other household objects to keep away from pets include contraceptive pills, raisins and artificial sweeteners.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes