- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Thursday charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men, the Metropolitan Police said.
The 62-year-old former Hollywood star is accused of four counts of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
He will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court in London on Thursday.
The Metropolitan Police said that the charges are:
– two counts of sexual assault on a man who is now in his 40s, in March 2005 in London
– sexual assault on a man who is now in his 30s, in August 2008 in London, and causing him to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent
– sexual assault on a man, now aged in his 30s, in April 2013 in Gloucestershire
Spacey had previously said that he would travel to the UK to face the charges, which he is expected to deny.
Spacey was questioned by Scotland Yard detectives about sex assault allegations in the UK back in 2019 when the officers travelled to the US to interview the Oscar-winning star, 59, under caution. The Hollywood actor had been facing six allegations of sexual assault in the UK between 1996 and 2013 and was voluntarily interviewed under caution – he was not arrested – in May, 2019.
Spacey was artistic director at London’s The Old Vic theatre between 2004 and 2015.
He was one of the first Hollywood stars to face allegations in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.
The Old Vic found 20 people claimed to have been victims of inappropriate behaviour by Spacey and he was dropped from his lead role on the Netflix remake of House of Cards in the wake of the allegations.
Spacey has denied any memory of assaults but apologised for "inappropriate drunken behaviour".
In May, Spacey, known for his roles in American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, said he would voluntarily appear in court in the UK.
He said in a statement to Good Morning America: “I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service’s statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial, and innocent until proven otherwise.
“While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence.”
Rosemary Ainslie, head of the CPS Special Crime Division, said: “The CPS has authorised criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault against three men.
“He has also been charged with causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
“The charges follow a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Spacey are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.”
Watch: Kevin Spacey 'confident' he will clear his name