King Charles 'very aware' of cost-of-living challenges, royal source insists

King Charles III meets Shenkin IV, goat mascot for the Royal Welsh Third Battalion
King Charles III meets Shenkin IV, goat mascot for the Royal Welsh Third Battalion

THE King is planning a “less expensive” coronation ceremony than his mother’s as he is "very aware of the struggles felt by modern Britons", according to a royal source.

A report from The Daily Mirror quotes the source as saying the new monarch’s coronation would be “shorter and smaller” than the Queen’s ceremony in 1953.

The source told the paper: “The King is very aware of the struggles felt by modern Britons so will see his wishes carried through that although his coronation ceremony should stay right and true to the long held traditions of the past, it should also be representative of a monarchy in a modern world.”

The reports come after King Charles appeared to groan when a protester in Cardiff heckled him over the cost of recent royal events while people struggle with the cost of living.

The protester said: "While we struggle to heat our homes, we have to pay for your parade."

The King sighed as he said "oh" and turned away from the man.

The protester went on: "We pay £100 million for you - and what for?"

READ MORE: Ratings for Queen's funeral suggest more people in UK watched Euro final last year

It also comes as it emerges that royal staff who provided personal services to the late Queen have been told their jobs will be affected under King Charles III.

A letter has been sent to a number of employees saying that consultations will be held.

And last week it was disclosed that up to 100 employees at the King’s former official residence, Clarence House, had been notified that they could lose their jobs.

A date for the coronation ceremony has not yet been announced, but May and June 2023 are possibilities.

The paper was also told Charles had “long been an advocate of a streamlined or slimmed down monarchy” and may reduce the number of working royals.

“He has already spoken of his wish to continue his mother’s legacy and this includes continuing to recognise what the people are experiencing day by day,” the royal source added.

The Express reports that the number of working royals could be cut to seven, which it said would likely be the King, Queen Consort, Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge, the Princess Royal, and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

The King is believed to have flown to Scotland on Tuesday with the Queen Consort to grieve privately, as the royal family continues its period of mourning for the late monarch.

Charles decreed on September 9, the day after the Queen died following her 70-year reign, that a period of mourning would be observed until seven days after the funeral.

READ MORE: 'Death is irreversible ...': Mystery behind creepy ITV clip of Queen's funeral solved

Plans for his first diplomatic trip outside the UK as King are focusing on France over Commonwealth countries, according to a report in The Daily Telegraph.

The paper reports no plan has been finalised, but writes that a trip across the Channel has been considered as an opportunity to build relations with Europe.

The Queen was laid to rest together with the Duke of Edinburgh on Monday evening in a private service attended by the King and the royal family, which followed her state funeral at Westminster Abbey and committal service in Windsor.