Lemington drink-driver caught trying to 'blend in with crowd' after fleeing crash scene

Mark Eade leaves Newcastle Magistrates Court.
-Credit: (Image: Iain Buist/Newcastle Chronicle)

A Newcastle drink-driver was caught trying to "blend in with the crowd" after crashing his car and making off from the scene.

Mark Eade was behind the wheel of a Fiat Tipo when he crashed in Kirkston Avenue in Lemington on December 5 last year. The 35-year-old, who had been drinking alcohol, then fled from the scene. When police officers turned up, Eade was seen hanging around the area before being arrested.

Eade then failed a breath test and was found to be in possession of amphetamines. He has now been banned from driving and fined.

This week, Eade, of Waverley Crescent, Lemington, appeared at Newcastle Magistrates' Court where he faced charges of driving whilst unfit through drink and possession of a class B drug. He pleaded guilty to the offences.

The court heard Eade was seen crashing his car by paramedics who were passing, and they stopped off to give first aid. Jonathan Stirland, prosecuting, said: "The defendant was the single occupant [in the car] and made off. The ambulance crew then passed over to police.

"Police attended and the paramedics pointed out the defendant to police. [Eade] seemed to be in the area attempting to blend in with the crowd."

Eade then failed a breath test and he was arrested and also taken to hospital. The court was told he had no previous convictions.

Ian Wilson, defending, said Eade had entered early guilty pleas and has shown "sincere remorse for his offending". He said: "He has not been a heavy drinker or drug user normally."

Mr Wilson said that at the time of the offences, Eade had received medical news which he "took hard" and had also failed a HGV test. He was also having difficulties with his unwell father and had "some form of mental breakdown", leading him to drink and take drugs. "He accepts that was wrong...he is one of life's good men", Mr Wilson added.

Magistrates fined Eade £1,200 and ordered him to pay a £480 surcharge and £85 costs. He was also banned from driving for two years and one month which can be reduced by 25 weeks if he completes a drink-driving awareness course.