The timing really couldn’t be better: Lidl’s craft gin festival is back for its second year, launching in stores just ahead of the Bank Holiday weekend.
If you’re into gin (and who isn't these days?), the supermarket’s festival is a fantastic chance to discover and stock up on some new brands – with prices starting from £17.99.
The range showcases ten premium craft gins from distilleries across Britain, offering shoppers a flavour of England, Wales and Scotland.
There are some cool tipples to explore, but we especially love The Harborough's Lavender & Rose (40 per cent) gin which contains PH-reactive butterfly pea flower. When mixed with tonic, it will magically transform colours from blue to pink - definitely something to Gram about!
If your tastes veer towards the sweeter side, keep an eye out for The Lakes Rhubarb & Rosehip Gin Liqueur, Tyke’s Strawberry Gin and the delicate Strathearn Heather Rose Gin from Scotland.
However, if you prefer something with a bit more bite, reach for Bloom London Dry Gin, Brecon Botanicals Gin or the Peaky Blinder Spiced Dry Gin, which we’re sure will delight fans of the hit BBC show starring Cillian Murphy.
Don’t forget to add garnishes, fruit and mixers to your basket; Lidl has everything from freshly plucked lemon and limes to slice into a chilled glass as well as premium tonic waters to enhance the taste of your gin. Tip: freeze chopped fruit or edible flowers into your ice cube tray for an extra pretty look that’s perfect for Bank Holiday boozing.
Here’s a list of all the gins featured in Lidl’s British Gin Festival, plus serving suggestions:
● The Lakes Rhubarb & Rosehip Gin Liqueur (70cl) 25%, £18.99, England. Serve with ginger ale, ice and a slice of apple.
● The Lakes Explorer Edition Gin (70cl) 47.1%, £24.99, England. Serve with premium tonic water, ice and a slice of pink grapefruit.
● The Harborough Lavender & Rose Gin (70cl) 40%, £21.99, England. Serve with classic tonic water, ice, lemon peel and a sprig of lavender.
● Tyke’s Strawberry Gin (70cl) 40%, £21.99, England. Serve with Mediterranean tonic, ice and black pepper to garnish.
● Bloom London Dry Gin (70cl) 40%, £19.99, England. Serve with tonic over ice with fresh strawberries to garnish.
● Peaky Blinder Spiced Dry Gin (70cl) 40%, £21.99, England. Serve with premium tonic over ice with a wedge of lime.
● Ophir Orient Spiced Gin & Tonic, 275ml, England. Choose from Gin & Tonic, Gin & Tonic with a Twist of Orange or Gin & Tonic with a Dash of Ginger.
● Aber Falls Rhubarb & Ginger Gin (70cl) 41.3%, £21.99, Wales. Serve with Cranberry juice over ice with fresh lime.
● Brecon Botanicals Gin (70cl) 43%, £17.99, Wales. Serve with Mediterranean tonic, ice and a wedge of lime.
● Shetland Reel Filska Gin (70cl) 40%, £24.99, Scotland. Serve with premium tonic water, ice and a slice of pink grapefruit.
● Strathearn Heather Rose Gin (50cl) 40%, £19.99, Scotland. Serve with prosecco and rose petals.
As you can see, there’s quite a selection for even the thirstiest gin fans to work through.
If you haven’t got time to head down at Lidl but want to update your liquor cabinet with new flavours, check out our roundup of the Best Summer Gins here, including artisan and craft as well as iterations from far-flung destinations such as Japan and Finland.