Liverpool fail in transfer talks as Mohamed Salah future becomes clear

Liverpool star Mohamed Salah.
-Credit: (Image: Photo by Rob Newell - CameraSport via Getty Images)


Liverpool will not sell Mohamed Salah this summer if he does not sign a new contract, it has been claimed.

The Mirror's David Anderson has claimed that the Reds are trying to persuade the Egyptian to stay at Anfield, as he enters the final 12 months of his contract, but will not part ways ahead of Arne Slot's first summer in charge.

Salah is among three key figures on Merseyside who could leave the club on a free transfer next summer. Worryingly for the new Dutch head coach, all of them are part of the senior leadership team installed under his predecessor - Jurgen Klopp - with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Virgil van Dijk out of contract at the end of this season.

READ MORE: Liverpool give clearest indication yet of summer transfer plan with announcements imminent

READ MORE: I was at Arne Slot's first press conference and have already noticed one major change

The Mirror have reported that the Reds have been reluctant to give updates on the progress of transfer talks, so far this summer, both Van Dijk and Alexander-Arnold have been on international duty with their respective countries at Euro 2024. Both Slot and new sporting director Richard Hughes were quizzed by members of the media on Friday in their first press conference since arriving in the North West.

"On contractual situations, I don’t think it would be fair for me to talk about these," Hughes said. "These are private matters between club and players. The only concern I and Arne have about situations is total commitment from the players to the cause for next season and we’re absolutely convinced that will be the case."

Meanwhile, Liverpool were reportedly handed fresh disappointment this summer in their pursuit of a goalkeeper after Michele Di Gregorio signed for Juventus.

The AC Monza shot-stopper was said to have held talks with the Reds, however the move was scuppered after already having an agreement with the Turin club. His agent, Carlo Belloni told TV Play: "This is an important achievement and Juve are a top club, so not all players or agents can see this happen.

"There were talks with Liverpool, and obviously we were very pleased to hear from them. However, we had already given our word and had clear ideas on what to do after Monza.

"We had no doubts on the decision after speaking to director Cristiano Giuntoli."