Liverpool can rival Manchester United for £59m Brazil star as ‘formal transfer offer’ is made

Gleison Bremer has been linked with Liverpool
-Credit: (Image: Omar Vega/Getty Images)


Arne Slot may yet see fit to alter his defensive options heading into the new campaign as the media suggest one in, one out at Liverpool in the near future.

By this time last year, the Reds had already made a huge splash with the signings of Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai for a combined £95m. With all that has happened in the 12 months since, supporters should have been understanding that the summer of 2024 was going to look completely different.

Slot only arrived on Friday to take up head coach duties and officially begin pre-season preparations. He and new sporting director Richard Hughes therefore won't have had an opportunity to fully assess the squad before transfer business gets underway.

READ MORE: Heartbroken Mohamed Salah leads tributes to team-mate as Liverpool star sends message

READ MORE: Arne Slot ends Jurgen Klopp's dreaded pre-season ritual but it's more bad news for Liverpool squad

With time the telling factor, current rumour and speculation suggests that the new boss will find a chop-and-change job needed to bolster his defence for the season ahead. So, with that being said, the ECHO has rounded up the latest Liverpool transfer news to provide comment.

Inquiry made for £59m Man United target

Liverpool have made initial contact to discover what it would take to sign Gleison Bremer from Juventus, according to Italian reporter Mirko di Natale.

The report states that the Reds have joined Bayern Munich in expressing their interest in the Brazilian defender, which sees both clubs join long-term admirers Manchester United and Chelsea. All have been informed that business will only be considered this summer should an offer €70m (£59m) be placed.

However, if waiting until next summer instead, it is claimed that Bremer's contract allows a release clause believed be worth between €60-70m (£50-59m) to come into play.

The ECHO says: Beating rivals - especially Man United - to a transfer is always a nice confidence booster heading into the season. But that shouldn't be the defining factor of a move - the Reds have never conducted business like that and they can be trusted to carry out their due diligence on Bremer.

Whether they hope to pay mega money this summer or next, a central defensive recruit seems like a requirement following Joel Matip's departure.

Nat Phillips left with decision as Turkish offer arrives

Turkish journalist Yagiz Sabuncuoglu states that Super Lig outfit Trabzonspor have sent a formal offer to Liverpool for the permanent signing of Nat Phillips.

The central defender, who spent last season on separate loans to Celtic and Cardiff City, was seen amongst the players returning to the AXA Training Centre for pre-season on Friday. Squad injuries and other circumstances have prevented his permanent exit from the club in the past, but 2024 could finally be the year the 27-year-old ends what is now an eight-year association with the Reds.

He has left the club five times on loan so far, once going abroad when joining VfB Stuttgart for a year.

The ECHO says: Nat Phillips has earned the right to kick on with his career elsewhere, if that is what he desires. Helping to secure Champions League football in the bleakest of campaigns, then pulling off a Cruyff turn at the San Siro the season after will have its own special place in Liverpool history.

As he will seemingly never get a proper look-in for a first-team spot at Anfield, listening to any offers like this one should be good business for the club to complete early on before judging any incomings.

LFC: Join our WhatsApp community, sign up to a newsletter or listen to our podcasts HERE