Liverpool win FA Cup after beating Chelsea in penalty shootout at Wembley

·2-min read

Liverpool have won the FA Cup after beating Chelsea in a penalty shootout during the final at Wembley.

The match was locked at 0-0 after extra time, and with the Reds about to win on penalties, Blues keeper Edouard Mendy saved Sadio Mane's spot kick.

That was after Chelsea's Cesar Azpilicueta had earlier hit the post.

But Alisson Becker, in goal for the Merseysiders, denied Mason Mount before Kostas Tsimikas struck to seal the win.

England star Mount has now lost six major finals at Wembley.

"It is very, very special for me," Tsimikas said after his side's 6-5 victory on penalties. "I chose the right side and scored."

Becker told the BBC it was a "proper fight" and "anything could happen".

Regarding the penalties, he said: "I just needed to save the last one. I am so happy."

"I'm really proud of my boys," Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said.

"The small margins are again the difference," he told the BBC.

Klopp has now won all the major trophies during his time at Anfield, and has become the first German manager to win the FA Cup.

The charismatic boss signed a two-year contract extension late last month.

It means Liverpool's pursuit of four trophies this season is still intact.

The Reds also won the EFL Cup final, again against Chelsea, after a penalty shootout in February.

They play Real Madrid in the Champions League final on 28 May, and can still win the Premier League, too.

However Manchester City, who are three points ahead with two games left to play, have the league advantage.

Liverpool made a bright start on Saturday and had good chances to score in the opening section of the game.

There was disappointment for the Reds just after the half-hour mark, however, when star striker Mohamed Salah went off injured, to be replaced by Diogo Jota.

Chelsea also spurned several big openings during the first half.

Chelsea looked re-energised as the second period got underway but failed to take advantage of their aggression, while Liverpool's Luis Diaz saw a shot slip just past the Chelsea post.

Liverpool hit the post twice towards the end of the 90 minutes, which led to an edgy extra-time period before the match ended goalless and went to penalties.