VIDEO SHOWS: STILL PHOTOS OF LIVERPOOL DEFENDER VIRGIL VAN DIJK WHEN HE WAS INJURED DURING PREMIER LEAGUE MATCH AGAINST EVERTON / FILE FOOTAGE OF VAN DIJK
RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SCRIPT
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 17, 2020) (REUTERS PICTURES VIA ACTION IMAGES - ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
1. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF LIVERPOOL DEFENDER, VIRGIL VAN DIJK, COLLIDING WITH EVERTON GOALKEEPER, JORDAN PICKFORD, RESULTING IN INJURY TO VAN DIJK'S KNEE
2. VARIOUS MORE STILLS PHOTOGRAPHS OF COLLISION (TWO STILLS)
3. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF VAN DIJK SPEAKING WITH LIVERPOOL MANAGER, JUERGEN KLOPP, AFTER THE COLLISION
4. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF VAN DIJK WALKING OFF PITCH WITH TRAINER
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - FEBRUARY 17, 2020) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
5. LIVERPOOL DEFENDER VIRGIL VAN DIJK DOING SQUATTING EXERCISES
6. VAN DIJK AND OTHER PLAYERS STRETCHING
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - DECEMBER 9, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
7. VAN DIJK WARMING UP DURING TEAM TRAINING SESSION
8. LIVERPOOL TRAINING
9. VAN DIJK RUNNING GAUNTLET
10. VAN DIJK KICKING BALL
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
11. VAN DIJK AT LIVERPOOL TRAINING SESSION
12. VARIOUS OF VAN DIJK TRAINING (2 SHOTS)
13. LIVERPOOL MANAGER, JUERGEN KLOPP, AT TRAINING SESSION
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - OCTOBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
14. VAN DIJK AT LIVERPOOL TRAINING SESSION
15. VAN DIJK (LEFT) WALKING AND STRETCHING WITH JOE GOMEZ
GUIMARAES, PORTUGAL (FILE - JUNE 5, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
16. VAN DIJK AT NETHERLANDS TEAM TRAINING SESSION
17. TRAINING IN PROGRESS
18. VAN DIJK TALKING TO TEAM MATES DURING TRAINING
STORY: Liverpool centre back Virgil van Dijk has damaged knee ligaments and is set to undergo surgery after he was injured in Saturday's (October 17) Merseyside derby draw against Everton, the Premier League club confirmed on Sunday (October 18).
The Dutch defender was substituted early in the game when Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford made a reckless challenge in the box, which left Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp fuming.
"Liverpool can confirm Virgil van Dijk will undergo surgery on the knee injury he sustained during Saturday's 2-2 draw at Everton," the club said in a statement.
"The centre back damaged knee ligaments following an incident involving Blues goalkeeper Jordan Pickford after six minutes at Goodison Park."
The club did not specify a timescale for the 29-year-old defender's return to action.
However, cruciate ligament injuries normally take months to recover from, potentially ruling Van Dijk out for the rest of the season while also dealing a blow to the Netherlands ahead of the Euros next year.
Reigning league champions Liverpool are second in the standings after five games, three points behind Everton.
An ever-present leader in the back line, the 75 million pounds ($96.85 million dollar) club-record signing has played 50 games in each of the last two seasons for Liverpool, which includes every league match.
Liverpool are also short in central defence with Joe Gomez and Joel Matip the only fit senior centre backs available ahead of a congested schedule where they play six times in 18 days before next month's international break.
Liverpool begin their Champions League group stage campaign at Ajax Amsterdam on Wednesday (October 21) and Van Dijk's absence leaves another hole at the back with goalkeeper Alisson Becker also sidelined with injury.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)