Locals watch in horror after a seagull becomes trapped in a street light and tries to free itself

Shocked locals watched on in horror after a seagull became trapped in a street light and desperately tried to free itself.

Footage of the incident, which took place near Blackpool Promenade, Lancs., showed the bird hanging by its leg from a newly erected halogen light yesterday afternoon (Tues).

The poor creature was later taken to a local rescue centre after a workman with a cherry picker brought it down.

The gull, which sustained a badly “severed” leg, was sadly put down hours later, with vets unwilling to operate on it due to UK-wide bird flu restrictions.

Writing on social media, a spokesperson from Brambles Wildlife Rescue, who helped care for the bird, said the new street lights were like “a razor blade in the sky”.

They said: “We had a very upsetting incident yesterday afternoon where a gull understandably became trapped in one of these new lampposts on Central Drive in Blackpool, which in our view are like a razor blade in the sky, utter death traps for wildlife!

“Thankfully the finder flagged down a fantastic person called Jason with a cherrypicker who retrieved him.

“The poor gull was brought to us for examination away from the rescue building but on examination his foot had been severed badly from his leg and we couldn't locate a vet willing to operate due to the current bird flu restrictions.

“Sadly this poor bird was put to sleep.”