London Knife Crime: Man Dies After Stabbing In Stratford

Press Association

A murder investigation has been launched after a man was stabbed in east London.

The victim, believed to be aged in his 40s, was found collapsed and suffering stab wounds in Whalebone Lane, near West Ham Lane, in Stratford on Monday morning.

It comes after a weekend of bloodshed in the capital, which saw three other men killed in separate attacks in less than 24 hours.

In the latest incident, Scotland Yard said officers were called by paramedics at about 12.40am.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene about 20 minutes later.

Whalebone Lane, near West Ham Lane, in Stratford.

No arrests have been made and inquiries are continuing, with a post-mortem scheduled to take place in due course.

Scotland Yard said a section 60 order - which allows police to stop and search people - had been put in place for the whole of the borough of Newham until 6pm on Monday.

Road closures are in place near the scene on West Ham Lane, between Widdin Street and Paul Street, while Stratford Park also remains shut.

The stabbing follows the deaths of two teenagers who were killed in different parts of London within minutes of each other on Friday.

An 18-year-old, named in reports as Cheyon Evans, was found stabbed on Deeside Road in Wandsworth, south-west London, at 4.42pm and died at the scene.

Two people - a 17-year-old from Merton, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and Mohammed Nadir Dafallah, 18, from Wandsworth - have been charged with murder and are due in court on Monday.

In the second incident, police were called to Hartville Road in Plumstead at 4.54pm to reports of a shooting.

The victim, Eniola Aluko, 19, from Thamesmead, south-east London, was found with critical injuries and died at the scene a short while later.

An 18-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder on Saturday, while three male teenagers and a 17-year-old girl who were arrested on suspicion of murder on Friday have since been bailed pending further inquiries.

On Saturday afternoon, police officers and London Ambulance Service attended reports of an injured man at Alton Street in Tower Hamlets, east London, just before 2pm.

The man, in his 30s, had been stabbed and was pronounced dead at the scene - a field next to a children’s nursery and a mosque - some 40 minutes later.

Officers arrested a 33-year-old man on suspicion of murder in Victoria shortly before midnight on Saturday and a 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder in Croydon, south London, on Sunday.

The spate of attacks led to criticism of Sadiq Khan from Donald Trump, who called the London mayor a “disaster”.

Retweeting a post by controversial media personality Katie Hopkins about the killings, the president said the capital needed a new mayor “ASAP”.

The original post by Hopkins called the capital “Stab-City” and “Khan’s Londonistan” alongside two screenshots of BBC News articles detailing the violence.

A City Hall spokesman said Khan was focusing on supporting communities and he was “not going to waste his time” responding to the president’s tweet.

Related...